Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stabilise pavers on a pathway?

sydneysider
Building a Reputation

How to stabilise pavers on a pathway?

hi

We had a side path paved 2 years ago and the sand got washed way after a few downpours and now the pavers look a bit displaced.

Whats the best way to ensure this doesn't happen again. Should I repave it with sand and cement instead? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stabilise pavers on a pathway

Hi @sydneysider,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist. If it is just the sand in between the pavers you can replace it with Dingo 20kg Powerloc Paving Sand. This product has a mix of sand and polymers to create a flexible and superior bond between pavers. It prevents water from readily washing away the sand. If it is the sand bed which has washed away then it might be worth laying a bed of sand cement and placing the pavers on top. This will provide them with a solid foundation and prevent displacement. Make sure that the base material is compacted and if further washout occurs, it might be worth investigating drainage and diversion options.

Here a step-by-step D.I.Y. article from @Adam_W on How to lay paving for a path, which I trust you'll find useful in the process. Let me also mention @Yorky88 to see if they would like to join the conversation.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had other questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Yorky88
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to stabilise pavers on a pathway

Has the concrete haunching on the side of paving come away? I would be inclined To lift those pavers that have moved, re-level and re lay the pavers and then applying pave n lock sand which is a similar product to what @MitchellMc  suggested in his reply as well as adding new cement haunching to the side of pavers to make sure they don’t move again. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects