Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to start a sensory garden

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

How to start a sensory garden

We love our Gardens with beautiful flowers, amazing lawns , lots of Edibles.

But something that can make part of your Garden interesting to adults and kids is growing plants with highly scented foliage that you can rub and crush in your hands and enjoy the strong fragrance’s of different plants. Planting foliage scented plants near a pathway so you brush past them and release its fragrance. Have planters around where you sit outside and you can touch the foliage. They can be very calming to your senses. I have quite a few growing in our garden and everyday I like to walk through the garden and brush past them. I find it very relaxing. 

This is what I have growing at the moment. 

Citronella - Lemon Scented Geranium

E4A650F5-56A1-4CC8-9F30-605FDDC760AF.jpeg

Lemon Verbena 

B1A271B9-44A3-47E0-950C-039329400E7A.jpeg

 Lime Verbena 

108FDAF8-81E5-4C0C-AFA8-5F8BAFD5CBE9.jpeg

Lemon Balm

5FD75044-010E-4229-A043-1633CB4D576D.jpeg

Sweet Basil

AEFD6BD5-829E-4BE3-95FD-2103931189BB.jpeg

Mint

39CD4692-447C-4507-B3DD-BF66B02F95F1.jpeg

Makrut ( Kaffir ) Lime 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to start a Sensory Garden

Wonderful stuff @mich1972!

Here's a good one, Heliotropium arborescens. One of my favourite scented flowering plants. I'm not sure if you've come across one, but they have a divine vanilla scent to them. Absolutely amazing! Not a scent released from the crushed foliage, but the scent of vanilla will fill your whole garden, and it's a real sensory experience.

Thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Yep certainly do mate. Used to grow it years ago. And you’re right, strongly scented vanilla !!! It’s also a great Pollinator attractor for your Edible Garden with its delicate mauve flowers 🐝🐝🐝

Hi @mich1972

thank you so much for your suggestions. A sensory element is often part of a healing garden, a concept that seems to get more attention these days. We want to implement a few such things as well, so your list comes very timely. Thank. you.

@TheHandySqirrel Absolutely agree with you and thank you 😊 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects