Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop exploding hose fittings

MaxBan
Growing in Experience

How to stop exploding hose fittings

Does the quick click connect fitting on the end of your garden hose ever pop off drenching you, mine did.
Yes cutting a bit of the hose off and refitting the hose nut worked for a while but eventually it popped off drenching me again,
however this is how I fixed it.
I cut about 2mm of heat shrink and slid it onto the hose 1cm then waved a naked flame around it until it shrank and became a snug fit
I then ran a bead of Gorilla brand Super Glue around the very end of the hose and carefully slid the heat shrink down the hose 9mm until it had made contact with the glue.
I gave it several hours in the Sun to cure thoroughly then wriggled the end of the hose into the Quick connect fitting and screwed the nut back on.
The claws inside the fitting now grip the heat shrink and it doesn't pop off.

Neta Hose  Fix 1.JPGNeta Hose Fix 2.JPG

Max Bancroft
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to stop exploding hose fittings

Very ingenious! :smile:

I use to have that problem Max - but then I replaced all my plastic fittings with brass - never had a problem since. I think the secret is you can apply a much stronger twisting force (with multi-grips) to brass than the plastic.

20211018_125518.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great thinking, @MaxBan! It sounds like it worked a treat. I've just replaced several of mine as I was suffering a similar issue. I have noticed a considerable difference between how well they attach to the softer versus stiffer re-enforced hose. I suspect the more rigid re-enforced hose has a thicker wall to it.

Many thanks for sharing your success with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MaxBan
Growing in Experience

The click fittings grip the plastic hose with steady pressure, over time the plastic under goes 'Cold Flow' and moves away from the pressure which is when the fitting pops off the hose, having the ring of heat shrink glued to the hose provides something for the claws to grip that can't run away from them. Turning the tap off and operating the nozzle trigger to release pressure from the hose helps as well.

Max Bancroft

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects