Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to support leaning Lilly Pilly hedging trees?

gitzy
Growing in Experience

How to support leaning Lilly Pilly hedging trees?

Hi All, 

My backyard lilly pillies are leaning forward after a stormy/rainy weather. I have long stakes in to support but it is not working anymore as the tress have grown taller and are heavier. Could you please suggest what can I do to have a straight fencing hedge?

TIA!

GitzyG1.jpgG2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to support leaning Lilly Pilly hedging trees?

Hi @gitzy,

Were the winds you experienced a one-off event, or do you often get buffeting winds from over the fence? Letting our helpful members know how often you experience these high winds across your fenceline will assist them in providing informed solutions. If these winds were a one-off event, then propping the plants back into place and installing larger stakes in case of future high-wind events would likely solve your issue. However, if there are often extreme winds in your area, you might like to trim the plants so they don't extend above the protected fence line or consider other options for the area, like screening panels.

It appears that plants have been exposed to some considerable winds to snap the trunk of the middle tree, and the upper foliage of all the plants looks quite battered. If this is an ongoing issue, I'd suggest regular trimming so they don't extend above the fenceline which will prevent them from capturing the prevailing winds and installing new stakes to stabilise them in the beds.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @gitzy @I love what you have done with your Lilly Pilly hedge to cover the fence. If you are in a windy area, I would personally make Star Pickets my best friend. https://www.bunnings.com.au/jack-240cm-black-premium-ultrapost_p3041483 

This link is just an example for you to show the metal pickets are strong. They will help the main growing trunk.Stake them and tie. Lilly Pilly is extremely tough and resilient to hard pruning ( I recently pruned my two to the ground nearly and they are reshooting again ) so the one that has snapped, cut that back. It will grow back again, you’ll just have a gap for awhile. That’s just my opinion, I like what @MitchellMc has  advised 😃🪴

gitzy
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc  and @mich1972 

Thanks for your response and advise. This happens every year during spring. Even last year when the plants were not too tall the same thing happened after a windy night and I used longer stakes at that time. This year it happened again. The stakes are not able to keep the trees straight and lean forward along with the tree. I am happy to try the steel stakes, if those ones will solve the problem. 

It feels that the hedges/trees need to be attached to the fence somehow to get a straight and nice hedge. 

Regards,

Gitzy!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @gitzy 

Looking at the top of the lilly pilliys it looks windswept and going by your comment that it happens every year id say thats the height they will be happy at.

Pruning/topping the Lilly Pillys is the easiest option, the stakes are an idea but it looks like that wind is a sustained wind when it blows. I have built windbreaks for my trees in my front yard to give a coffee tree and a liquid amber a chance and that worked well.

I really dont like the idea of attaching anything to the actual fence as they are built to withstand their weight/winds against the actual fence but not the added weight of shrubs/bushes/height added to it.

You could go for the starposts down the garden bed and then string wire between to give them that straight line shape but unless you keep the top of the hedge level or below the top of the fence they will want to lean over. 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects