Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat established climber now looking sick?

amichaelmedia
Cultivating a Following

How to treat established climber now looking sick?

1000006737.jpg

1000006736.jpg

  

1000006738.jpg

 hey team 

This established vine is looking sick after two years of healthy growth. If watered when dry. Fertilized regularly. 

It seems to have more webs than usual. Which is my only idea of why this is happening 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: established climber now looking sick

Hi @amichaelmedia,

You might like to start by reading through this helpful guide: How to diagnose a sick plant. There's plenty of great information that might lead to an answer.

Do you happen to know what type of plant it is? Perhaps Hardenbergia violacea? I notice some similarities in this discussion: What is the problem with my Hardenbergia leaves? In that discussion, my colleague @EricL recommends: "removing all the infected leaves and stems, don't mix them in with your compost, throw them straight into the bin. I recommend using Yates 750ml Fungus Gun Systemic Disease Spray. Yates Fungus Gun is a broad-spectrum fungicide for roses and ornamentals that works systemically within the plant providing both protective and curative action."

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi team.

My problem is back again.

I used an eco-fungicide 10 days ago. But the disease or what looks like the disease is still going strong. 

Could it be lack of water or poor soil? Hasn't been fertilized for 6mths and the climbers are planted in coverings/a little Sandy loam and clay base. 

I've picked off the diseased/dryed out/dead leaves also.

My second climber has started showing these effects too

1000008441.jpg

1000008440.jpg

1000008442.jpg

1000008444.jpg

1000008445.jpg

1000008446.jpg

1000008447.jpg

  

Your soil is looking exceptionally dry, @amichaelmedia. How often and for how long are you watering?

Mitchell

Once fortnightly. In retrospect may not be enough during summer is even though it's been more wet and rainy than usual 

We are having a small wet spell where I'm at in Sydney, but prior to that it was quite hot for a couple of weeks @amichaelmedia. Currently the need to water plants here is non-existent, but a couple of weeks ago during the warmer weather, watering every couple of days would be necessary. However, it's more important to check the soil moisture and let that determine whether you need to water or not.

How absorbent is the soil in that area? It appears a little hydrophobic. Does the water penetrate easily? I'd suggest you move to a regime of if the soil is dry then water it. Stick your finger in the soil and if it is almost dry, water.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects