Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for making my backyard safe for my toddler?

jess_syd
Getting Established

Ideas for making my backyard safe for my toddler?

D7BB9A2A-0F3B-4FB1-A588-C0A9D01AD9FC.jpeg

37977D2D-4817-4C41-BB07-88A5B1D46D4E.jpeg

Hi everyone, There is a big rock at my backyard, dangerous when my toddler run on to it. I’m wondering is that Possible to put concrete onto the rock and level it off? 
I just want to make this area flat 

thank you for all your help and ideas 

08C29F41-CF29-49E3-AAB8-F0CC6EA9676F.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: need help with garden

Hi @jess_syd

Thank you for sharing your question about helping you with your garden.

There are so many garden ideas that have been shared by our members you just need to choose a specific topic. Adding more plants, creating planting areas or raised gardens, putting your fence to use with a vertical garden are just some of the things you can do for your garden. Did you have a specific topic in mind? Please don't hesitate to share your questions or ideas. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information should you need it. 

Here is a handy link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular garden makeovers

We look forward to seeing your plans for your garden.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Need help with garden

Hi @jess_syd,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you will receive loads of help and inspiration from our wonderful community members.

We understand it can often feel a little overwhelming when confronting a new project and not knowing where to start. Hopefully you get plenty of inspiration from seeing what other Workshop members have managed to achieve in their backyards. I would also add to Eric's suggestion in checking out How to plan a garden makeover by @Adam_W, It should help you get a list together of what you would like from your space and then we can better assist by helping you to achieve your goals.

Thanks,

Jason

jess_syd
Getting Established

Hi Eric 

thank you for your reply. Im wondering if it possible to put concrete into the rock and level it off? Or if you have any idea how make this rock level and put a cubby house on the rock. 
Thank you! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi again @jess_syd,

Many thanks for editing your original post with more detail about your problem and goals. 

My immediate thought is to wonder whether you could use a rubber surfacing product (typically used on playgrounds) to cover the rock so it's safer for your toddler to play on.  

Let me tag some clever members in @Tara86@Adam_W and @LePallet for their thoughts.

The wonderful @MitchellMc will also be happy to assist when he is back on the site tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Jason

jess_syd
Getting Established

B4767922-31E2-4544-A3B8-1EDEB78E6780.jpeg

4526E7BF-C166-4C43-B1B9-74EF833B78BE.jpeg

Good morning Jason, 

Thank you for the idea and tag your term members. I will upload more photo later. When I brought this house few years ago I never thought the rock is a problem but now my daughter is three years old it become my biggest concern when she is around the garden as she is always trying to running around on top of the uneven rock. Can’t wait to fix the rock 😅

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jess_syd,

We had an almost identical discussion on Incorporating bedrock into a landscaping plan by @hughs777. I suggested some options to utilise the structure rather than covering it. My daughter is nearly three, so I know exactly what it's like. She would be climbing all over this rock like a mountaineer.

You can certainly concrete over it and flatten it out. However, it does look like a significant amount of concrete would be needed, and it's likely something that should be left to the professionals. You'd have to establish a substantial amount of heavily braced formwork, and that's getting a little outside the realms of D.I.Y..

I suppose it wouldn't be out of the question to deck over this area and create a handrail at the precipice. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

hughs777
Growing in Experience

Hi all. We are still in the process but have taken out 8 m3 of our bedrock. Doing that will help us make a feature garden with some plants and sculptures. We will use geotechn fabric, pebbles, ag pipe etc so water runs off. Recycled brick retaining walls and it will become an elevated garden. 

We just levelled the adjacent grass area and put in a meeting driveway etc. Looking better and will look great when we do the garden. 

I will try to upload better photos when I can. 

6CFEE2E8-A2EE-40CC-B424-5E1419E422A3.jpeg

3639DCE7-06CB-4ACC-8072-9A909DD1DBB2.jpeg

6387BD3D-7F3C-490D-86C6-2FE96616CE26.jpeg

We plan to use ge

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Wow! Many thanks for the update, @hughs777! I'm sure @jess_syd with appreciate seeing what you've done.

How did you remove the stone?

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects