Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is my sharpeblue blueberry bush dead?

nainai83
Finding My Feet

Is my sharpeblue blueberry bush dead?

IMG_1628985697257.jpgIMG_1628830330288.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: is my sharpeblue blueberry bush dead?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nainai83. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about blueberries.

There is a good chance that your blueberry has just dropped its leaves over winter, so I would hold out hope until the warmer months come around.

Have you been watering it at all through winter? Even though they need reduced watering in the cooler months, they should still receive some every few weeks or if the soil completely dries out. What type of soil have you planted it in? They need a freely draining, acidic and preferably sandy soil where the topsoil is enriched with organic matter.

One of our experienced horticulturists, @Noelle, might have some thoughts for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi yes I have watered all through winter I've had the plant for about 3-4weeks and I've planted it in rose and azalea soil.

It's dropped the leaves this week.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@nainai83,

How often have those waterings been, and did you wait for the top few inches of soil to dry out before watering? Did you place anything in the bottom of the pot to allow drainage? Commonly, some gravel or rocks placed in the bottom will stop the pot's holes from being blocked.

This might be a case of wait and see. Once the warmer months get here, if it's still alive, you'll see bud growth.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Every few days.

I don't have sand or pebbles in the bottom but water drains out freely I will wait and see if there's no action I will bin it lol.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects