Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kikuyu turf turning brown

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

Kikuyu turf turning brown

I have a kikuyu lawn and it is mostly in very good condition. There is however an area which is turning brown. It started off small but is spreading. It may be kikuyu yellows but I'm not sure. I have been watering the grass often(almost daily) over the last few weeks as it has been very hot, but I am starting to wonder if I have over watered it giving rise to good conditions for kikuyu yellows to occur. Any advice would be most appreciated. 

20230102_095436.jpg

20230102_095446.jpg

20230102_095505.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kikuyu Turf problem

Hi @lfckop5

In order to diagnose the issue, we need to look for signs of the cause. The first thing I notice from your photos is the depressions amongst the yellowed grass. What are those, and why does it look like the grass has been removed from there? Are there cracks in the soil, and is the soil very compacted?

Mitchell

G1.pngG2.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lfckop5
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc thanks for the reply. The short answer is I don't know why those spaces/depressions are there. No grass has been removed from those areas and this has literally occurred over a 1 week. Last week my grass was all green in this area with no depressions.

The soil is not cracked and doesn't seem too compact. I do feel a bit of moisture on the top of the soil but it did rain last night so that isn't surprising. 

Thanks. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It could potentially be a fungus @lfckop5 that's developed from the daily watering. It's best if you can water in the morning and not in the evening. Also, before watering each day, check to see that the soil is dry, and if it's damp, don't water.

Let me mention one of our garden experts, @Adam_W, to see if he has any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lfckop5
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc many thanks. Most appreciated and will definitely check the soil first before watering. I'm almost certain it's a fungal issue but would be keen to hear from @Adam_w if he has any further input. 

Thanks again for the help. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects