Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Landscape topping

TroyK
Getting Established

Landscape topping

Hi all, I want to get my front yard looking like the picture below.

Just wanted to ask what kind of soil/topping is needed and will I need to use a compactor or will hand tamping be sufficient?

PXL_20210813_023255981.MP.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Landscape topping

Hi @TroyK,

We have a wide range of landscape toppings you can use to achieve this same effect. I think you'll find something like Whites 10kg Pink Decorative Pebble Chips will be very close. We can even order you larger landscaping boulders like those in the image.

Hand tamping will be sufficient unless this is a trafficked area. Machine compaction is normally used for driveways, pathways with high pedestrian traffic, or areas where there are subsidence issues.

Are these pebbles going over a grassed or soil area? Perhaps you might like to show our members some images of the space you wish to landscape. I'm sure they'll have further suggestions once they know what you're working with.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TroyK
Getting Established

Thanks for that @MitchellMc, really helpful info which as given me some more great ideas. 

It will be for a new home front yard and planning to have native grasses to go for a coastal look. My plan will be to level the soil, add some top soil and then the plants and pebbles. 

PXL_20210331_230255575_1_1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That'll look fantastic, @TroyK

Consider laying weed mat over the topsoil and before the pebbles, as this will inhibit any weed growth coming up at a later date. It's a real headache to finish a landscaping job, only to have a bunch of weed seeds germinate and sprout. You can cut holes in the weed matting to plant your native grasses.

Please keep us updated as it sounds like you'll have some sensational results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects