Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mandarin Tree full of lovely fruit that passerby keep stealing

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

Mandarin Tree full of lovely fruit that passerby keep stealing

I have a lovely mandarin tree it is full of mandarins my whole family enjoys. I wouldnt even mind sharing the odd fruit to polite strangers who have the decency to ask, but I resent the people who stretch to the full extent of their arm through my fence to help themselves and who use their umbrella to hook branches they can not reach, this results in my tree being damaged and other fruits dropping to the floor from the vibrations. These people are stealing plain and simple.

How do I stop this?

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Mandarin Tree full of lovely fruit that passerby keep stealing

That's exciting. If you search 'chicken' here on Workshop you'll find plenty of great discussions and projects that may be helpful as you plan out your next move.

Here's some to get you started:

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Just a visible message on a notice board might do, like  " Smile into the hidden camera - with smiley face"

Although no hidden camera is installed, people will think twice as they might be reported to the police station.

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

HAaahaa! 😃.. Thats actually a good idea.. I did look at dummy cameras I think they are around $10-15 but then I would have to find a good place to install it.. but the sign could work🤔

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

Thanks Stevie,

I will have a good look at those links you provided.. I'd love to have chooks again.. my set up wasnt the best last time but still go plenty of eggs.

Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @pboie. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Great idea about the sign. I'd hazard a guess that calling attention to the fact that it's known they are removing fruit would curb some of the issue.

Have you dealt with a similar issue before?

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or would like to share them with us. You'll find plenty of inspirational projects within the community as our creative members contribute them all the time.

Mitchell

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

Just an update on my tree.

We have removed all the fruit.. According to my dad, if the fruit is left on the tree too long it will suck the juice out and make the fruit dry (this sounds ridiculous to me I think he is wrong).. and my dad pruned the hell out of the tree (I think its too early to prune, we are in the middle of Sydney winter after all and the tree is in a cold part of the garden).. I'm sure there will be people saying why did you let him if you feel this way, simple answer it makes him happy and I don't care so much now the fruit is off. I am concerned for the trees health though.. is there anything I can do for this tree to ensure it survives the rest of the winter and thrives???

Bonus nobody can steal the fruit now.

Hope everyone is doing well.. Stay Safe

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AngryBird

It's good to hear that you've sorted out the overhang of the tree. However, you are absolutely right and perhaps too much was pruned off the tree. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the tree in its current condition? It should give our members a better idea of what it looks like and offer advice on how to keep the tree healthy.

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle and @Cath for any advice on how to keep your tree healthy.

We look forward to seeing the photos. 

Eric

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

mandarin.jpgHi here is a photo of the tree in its pruned state. the top of the photo is where the tree ends anyway.. Im so bad at this... the tree is at least 1/3rd of the size it was before pruning

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric,

I have put up a photo of the tree. you can also see just how close the brick fence is in this photo, the tree had grown in to reaching distance from the fence before its haircut.. and people were able to reach over and grab the fruit... There's no question that it needed a prune, I just dont think it really was the right time to do it. As you can see in the photo there is no mulch and now I am not sure if adding some would help or hinder it..😟

it may need some TLC now..

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AngryBird

Thank you for posting that photo of the tree. I'm glad to know that there are still some branches with leaves on them. This will allow the tree to keep doing photosynthesis. Trees when trimmed excessively have their own defense mechanism. They will sometimes sprout new branches to compensate for the ones that have been cut.

I wouldn't recommend trimming further at this point in time. Placing a thin layer of mulch should be ok to help the tree keep moisture. Only time will tell if too much has been taken off. In the meantime let's just keep an eye on it.

If you have other house or garden projects you need assistance with please let us know. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects