Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My kikuyu lawn is turning yellow

T2
Just Starting Out

My kikuyu lawn is turning yellow

I recently noticed my kikuyu lawn is turning yellow , we have had record rainfall in this area Camden . I have been advised it could be nitrogen deficiency due to rain , what is the answer ? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: My lawn, kikuyu, is turning yellow

Hello @T2

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your yellowing Kikuyu lawn.

Heavy rains bring with it an abundance of moisture that gets trapped in the soil. This in turn promotes the growth of fungus. The specific fungus we're looking at is called Verrucalvus flavofaciens and is the main disease of Kikuyu turf. This fungus attacks the root system by causing root rot and can in severe cases cause dead patches on the turf.

Unfortunately, there are no target specific fungicides for this fungus. I suggest using a comprehensive fertilizer such as Scotts Lawn Builder 4kg All Purpose Slow Release Lawn Fertiliser. It has a high Nitrogen content and is suitable for Kikuyu. I recommend aerating your garden with your choice of aerating tool to prevent waterlogging. If your turf is holding puddles of water it's best to think about making a draining solution for the area.

Here is a link to a handy guide: How to fix a muddy lawn

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
T2
Just Starting Out

how to repair lawn after grub attack

IMG_20220319_154836.jpgIMG_20220319_154826.jpg

Our lawn was attacked by grubs and beetles. Have sprayed with Richgro Lawn Beetle and Grub Killa. we have picked up many dead  black beetles and grubs. I know I need to spray again in  1-2 weeks. What else do I need to do get the the lawn back.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to repair lawn after grub attack

Hi @T2,

Even though you've managed to kill many lawn beetles and grubs, I'm not entirely convinced that's what has caused this damage. Let me mention one of our experienced horticulturalists @Adam_W to see if he has any thoughts. In the interim, I'd advise using a tonic like Seasol to help improve the health of the lawn. Since there's been significant dieback, it looks like you might need to re-seed the area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects