Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need ideas for plants for garden bed

luisa
Growing in Experience

Need ideas for plants for garden bed

Hello 👋🏻,
Looking for some ideas of what plants to add into our new garden bed.
The wall under the window gets partial sun , the one under the white fence gets full sun .thanks !

IMG_5710.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: garden bed plants ideas

Hi @luisa 

I might  plant  flowering bushes  azaleas,  gardenias as they are  perfumed varieties  or magnolia  and they are neat well behaved roots and will grow to a couple of meters gradually and are pruneable. They will grow to fit those areas  nicly.  I might buy the winter  flowering  ones as to give your yard in the winter too.

GardiniaGardinia

As a  color contrast to the glossy green leaves plant between the gardinias  Red nandina blush  they are more compact all year colour  infront of the other suggestions.  They vary in size 30cm to 90cm depenting on  cultivar. 

Nandina many colors avaliableNandina many colors avaliable

In your  green grass area maybe a acer miniture  tree variant  growing  less than  2 meters  slowly has  autumn  color leaves green in summer.  Many  varities  to choose from. and A little japanese garden styling for compact  yards.   If you  want to spend some well worth money look at japanese style  black pines

Acer  SmallAcer Small    Pinus  thunbergii (1 meter growth)Pinus thunbergii (1 meter growth)

Not finished  yet I like  planting a front row of bulbs  as they are a  nice spring surprise

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Need ideas for plants for garden bed

Any interest in growing some vegetables @luisa?

And can you please tell us where you are based? It might help members to provide more appropriate suggestions.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @luisa 

While we are waiting for your location information, I recommend having a look at this discussion - No-dig garden bed for edibles by @mich1972. I like my gardens productive, and nothing feels more satisfying than harvesting your own crops from your garden. 

This is an excellent example of what you can do with a little bit space and a well-planned garden.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Re: garden bed plants ideas

Thank you very much!

luisa
Growing in Experience

Hi Jason, I am based in Forestville , NSW 

luisa
Growing in Experience

Yes I am open to the idea of vegetables too , as long looks nice all together with the other plants :wink:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @luisa 

For the month of February in Forestville, NSW, I recommend the following:

• leeks
  • capsicum
  • chillies
  • cabbage
  • silver beet 
  • lettuce 
  • sweet corn 
  • cauliflower 
  • broccoli 
  • tomatoes

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Any ideas for decorative plants for these garden beds @mich1972?

Jason

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good afternoon @luisa  Could I please clarify you want to start a garden bed in the built up brick against the wall ? I tried to zoom in and can’t really see how much space you have there. Could I ask please for a couple of more pictures, closer up to the soil level, ect. It looks extremely narrow. All I could really suggest if it is narrow, is a mixture of Succulents which would look great. 🌿🪴😊 Edible’s I don’t think would work but just can’t tell. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects