Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pittosporum (Silver Sheen) dying

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Pittosporum (Silver Sheen) dying

Hi everyone 

It seems I have myself another sick plant (rose bush has recovered).

Would anyone be able to diagnose my Silver Sheen. It appears one half has just started to wilt away and appears to have shed some of its back. The other half seems perfectly fine as the rest are too.

20201029_151535.jpg

20201029_151551.jpg

Any help would be appreciated! 

Regards 

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pittosporum (Silver Sheen) dying

Hi @diy_hausdesigns,

If only half the plant is dying my first thought would be some issue with the roots on that side of the plant. Pittosporum is fairly susceptible to root rot and I'm wondering if there might be a drainage issue particularly on that side. It's better to stick to underwatering them than to overwater. One 30min soak a week would be enough in summer and you should check to see how deep that watering penetrates the soil and adjust if it doesn't reach the root ball.

Excessive watering/overly wet soils and/or poor drainage are the major killers when it comes to Pittosporum in backyards. I note it is hard up against the retaining wall, any idea of what the drainage is like in that area?

If it was the back of the plant against the Colorbond fence that was dying then I would suggest it is radiant heat from the fence burning it.

Let me mention @Noelle and @Adam_W to see if they can add to the conversation.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thank you for the advice. I'll change my watering regime and keep an eye our for any changes, as I have possibly been over watering. The soil in the area is clay and tends to not drain well but I did quite a bit of prep work to mitigate the impact of this and it drains pretty well.

The other bushes seems to be growing well so I hope this is isolated, whatever it is. 

Thanks again.

----

Hi @diy_hausdesigns these various varieties of pittosporums are quite prone to these sort of issues.
@MitchellMc has hit all of the major points.
Personally I would never plant them into any sort of clay soil, I'd be creating raised mounds in such a situation as they just don't tolerate wet feet.

They are also notorious for one in a hedge to either not do well or to just spontaneously die... even when established & happily growing for years.
So yes, watch teh watering, not much you can do if you get a wet period though, and do make sure the mulch is well clear of the trunk. A least 5cm away all-round. This will make it easier to see if the soil is damp or dry too.
Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys !

Really good feedback and I'll try my best to keep them alive ☺️ 

Cheers 

----

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects