Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plant Identification

macsmum07
Growing in Experience

Plant Identification

Hi!

I have two plants from Bunnings but I don't know what type they are.  One didn't come with an ID tag, and I lost the tag for the other one.

I think this one is some type of Bonsai?

Bonsai1.jpgBonsai2.jpgBonsai 3.jpg

I have no idea what these 2 are:
Boot1.jpgBoot2.jpg

Thanks to any green thumbs that can ID them  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Plant Identification

Hi @macsmum07,

The one in the square pot is a Ficus and quite possibly the potbelly variety considering the bulbous base. They are often used for bonsai. If you could flip that label over and show me the front it might lead me to a specific product and identification.

Alternatively, @mich1972 might be able to identify them for us.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@macsmum07 

First photo looks like a species of Ficus. Ficus is brilliant for Bonsai. 
last photo looks like a Parlour Palm. 

macsmum07
Growing in Experience

Thanks @mich1972 

Top one is ficus Ficus rubiginosa, the rusty fig or Port Jackson fig. A very common starter fig sold at Bunnings across the east coast of NSW at least. @macsmum07 

@MitchellMc pot belly isn't a type of fig persay more a style of 2 types of fig graphed together a large root style of ficus microcarpa to a small leaved style of ficus Microcarpa. The "bulbous base" happens with most types of ficus that are seed grown.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your knowledge @Rintar79. I'm sure @macsmum07 appreciates it. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge and experience to share with the community so we are looking forward to reading more of your posts soon. Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Feel free to let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site,

Jason

macsmum07
Growing in Experience

Hi @Rintar79 

Thanks for the info!  I've repotted it and I'm just letting it do it's own thing, so far so good.  Do I need to be pruning it at all? 

PXL_20210106_101709880.PORTRAIT.jpg

Thanks
MM

Thanks for the update @macsmum07, it's looking great. 

Let me tag the wonderful @Noelle to see if she might like to share some care instructions, including if or when to prune.

Thanks again,

Jason

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @macsmum07 and @Jason 

There's an excellent article online all about the port Jackson Fig and how to care for it, which I think you will find most useful and helpful.  Good luck with it 🙂

macsmum07
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Noelle !   I've had it about a year now.   Repotting it at the beginning of summer didnt kill it, so Im feeling a little optimistic  LOL   

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects