Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Planter boxes from a pallet

lcantem
Growing in Experience

Planter boxes from a pallet

Pallet.jpeg

Hi All,

I’m excited about joining this workshop.

I have 3 abandoned pallets which I want to convert into planter boxes. I’ve no idea how to start.

I plan them to be about 900mm long by 450mm wide and 600mm high. I’m also conscious that once filled, they can bulge with soil pressure sideways. Some advice on cross ties would be helpful. 

Kind Regards, 

Lester

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Planter Box from a pallet

Hi @lcantem,

As per this project (see Step 22) I would think you could line the box with corflute or black plastic.

Hope that helps.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rick64
Getting Established

or you can buy a water based stain these days, or just used some burnt or dark umber tint that they will sell you at your hardware store. You will only need a tiny bit.
eb
Just Starting Out

Hi I'm curious about the laserlite. Does it stop chemical leeching from the wood?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Rick64 and sharing some advice. It's great to have you join the community. I look forward to reading about your projects and plans. 

Welcome,

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@eb

I have tagged Workshop member @lcantem for you so they are notified about your laserlite question. Hopefully they can answer you soon.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project or have something new to share. You can also contact me if you need help getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop more useful to you.

Thanks,

Jason

Never use Pallets as garden beds or fire wood. Often they have been used 100- 1000 times to carry toxic chemicals. I know people that have been hospitalised from this...

Thanks for your input @bradjsmith

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. We look forward to reading about your projects and plans. Feel free to post whenever you have a new project to share or need a hand with anything.

Jason

Re: Planter boxes from a pallet

I’ve noticed that more & more people are using H3/H4 or similar varieties of treated pine timber around herb gardens and veggie patches. 

Is there any risk of contamination of soil and edibles from the chemical used to treat & preserve the wood?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Ads. I'm sure there will be Workshop members keen to discuss this topic and share their opinions and experience.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. We're happy you could join us. Please post anytime you need a hand or have a new project to share. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects