Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plants for around a pool

Joker
Having an Impact

Plants for around a pool

Our budget for the pool isn't going to stretch far enough for landscaping, but we're going to have to get rid of a few trees and bushes when putting it in. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for plants that will cope OK with being near a pool? We're going for a salt-water pool and imagine the kids will splash plenty of water about. And of course we don't want anything that will drop too much waste into the pool.

Joe

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Plants for around a pool

Good topic.

There are plenty of salt-tolerant plants, including many Australian natives that cope with coastal conditions. Consider a coastal banksia, dianella (flax lillies) or westringia (coastal rosemary). Some grevillea and fuchsia varieties might also suit. I also like agave and aloe plants, which can cope with anything. 

Make sure you steer well clear of bamboo - they often cause issues with plumbing and paving.

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

Hydrangeas are pretty tough and low maintenance. I think these blue hydrangeas look fantastic. 

100_4700.jpg

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Succulents are a great option given their lack of falling leaves, etc. I don't know about their salt tolerance though. I've started popping some around my pool area but in places where they'll get little to no salt water splashing on them - so far, so good.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Bill47
Just Starting Out

The pool is not salt water

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bill47

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion and sharing that information about your pool.

The plants that have been mentioned by our members can be used near your chlorine pool as well. For example, the Succulents that @ProjectPete mentioned are actually very tolerant of both salt and chlorinated water. The Endless Summer Hydrangea Bailmer - Hydrangea macrophylla recommended by @AndreaNg is also an excellent plant near the pool. My favorite one is the Westringia as suggested by @Kermit. It is drought tolerant and is excellent for hedging and screening.  

Chlorinated water or salt water is harmful to plants. I suggest that you water the plants with fresh water in case it has been splashed or drenched in pool water. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your new garden.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects