Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Poll: Do you grow your own vegetables?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Poll: Do you grow your own vegetables?

There are lots of keen gardeners in the Workshop community happy to share their experiences and advice. There have been some really useful discussions about growing your own food, and we've seen some fantastic harvests from community members. 

As the weather starts to get warmer, it's a great chance to get into the garden and grow your own veggies. 

Our latest poll asks whether you grow your own vegetables. Please participate in the poll on the front page. We'd also love to hear why you invest the time in your garden growing your own produce, or why you don't currently get your hands dirty.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CathD
Making a Splash

Re: Poll: Do you grow your own vegetables?

This is timely as I'm just getting the veggie bed ready for spring and summer. Hoping for a better crop of tomatoes than last year.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

This is a good tip for those about to plant some seeds...

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

What is everyone planning to grow?

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Jason, our first dabble in home grown was with clothe Grow Bags, & it was very successful. They were single use, so we went for something more durable & got self watering plastic planter pots, & troughs from Bunnings, but they weren't as deep, or wide, so some veggies struggled. I'd refreshed the same potting mix with Worm Poo, so that may've been a factor, perhaps next time I'll use fresh vege potting soil.

Any advice from our gardening friends here would be very much appreciated. :wink:

We're keen to have another crack at it, but the (11 month old) pup's still a digger (China bound), so we'll have to wait until he settles in. :frustrated:

Looking forward to growing some Cherry Tomatoes, Coriander, Lettuces, Spinach, Asian Greens, Chillies, Capsicums, Spring Onions, Horse Radish, Garlic & plenty of herbs.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's great to see so many members of the Workshop community growing their own veggies.

Over 70 per cent of community members said they grow their own produce in our poll. 

VeggiePoll.png

Feel free to keep the discussion going by replying below. I'm particularly keen to see what you are all planting in the coming weeks as the weather warms.

Jason

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Oooohhhhh yeahhhh.  It's taken about 4-5 years but Deb has now got the rotation down and there is nothing like home grown produce.  The flavour is second to none and you can't get anything like it from the local shops.

Cheers'n'beers

Daryl

sigong
Just Starting Out

I have already put in lettuce , cucumber , snow peas and tomatoes all hydroponic and they are booming there is some tomatoes and lettuce in the ground with the spuds but none of them are growing as fast as the hydroponic ones the speed they grow is amazing  It was cheep to set up and easy to maintain i would say a little more work than just watering the ground but worth it for the results besides i like doing it  .If anybody out there wants to know more on setting up or maintaining hydroponics just ask i am happy to share what i have learned .     Steve 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great work Steve (@sigong). Feel free to share some photos of your patch, especially when your near to harvest time.

It would be great if you could start a new discussion on the gardening board and share some of what you have learned about hydroponics. This is a good example from @Dale about a similar topic - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Gardening/Experimenting-with-Aquaponics/m-p/2909

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you as part of the community. I hope you find plenty of great ideas, inspiration and information on the site. We're also looking forward to seeing what you have to share.

Jason

Rhonda
Finding My Feet

Absolutely! There is nothing as satisfying as harvesting your own fresh veggies, herbs and fruit, grown sustainably and cleanly to provide your daily meals. :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects