Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pots for decks

Jfinlay
Growing in Experience

Pots for decks

I have a lovely new Timber deck and am wanting to find a rectangular lightweight pot/trough (approx 1.0mL x 400W) that has a water well, in which to plant a Crepuscule climbing rose to train along and over the railing. It will be in full sun. I am concerned that any overflow of water from the pot, with watering and/or rain will overtime damage the timber on the deck. Can you please advise anything I would need to do or add to the pot that would avoid this. What depth would you suggest the pot needs to be?

Would Bunnings have the type of pot I am looking for?  

I would appreciate any experience others have had with this and any ideas to fix the problem.

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pots for decks

Hi @Jfinlay,

There are a couple of planters in our range that come close to the sizing you are after. We have the Tuscan Path 98 x 34 x 43cm Savannah Tri Planter Grey which has three separate inserts that do not have drainage holes. Alternatively, we have the Eden 98cm Indy Plastic Troughs which can be special ordered into our stores and also does not have drainage holes. I have not been able to find a trough close to the size required that has an inbuilt water well.

If you fill the bottom of the tough up with gravel this will provide a reservoir for water to sit in and stop the rose having constantly wet roots. The troughs would be unlikely to over-flow from watering or rainfall as they are quite tall. If they did overflow I don't believe the water would necessarily damage the deck though it might reduce the longevity of any stain or oil applied to it and possibly leave water marks. Products like Intergrain 1L UltraPrep Timber Cleaner can be used to remove discolourations prior to applying a new coat of oil when required.

Please let me know if you require further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jfinlay
Growing in Experience

Thank you again Mitchell. I will have a look at these as they sound like they will do the job, and if so I will order them. 

Jennie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Jfinlay,

I just thought I'd add that using some pot feet under the trough would be a great idea. They will allow air-flow under the trough and any water that does get under there will be able to dry out. Decks get rained on all the time and are perfectly fine as their decking oil protects them. What isn't good for them is trapped moisture and timber which stays constantly wet. The pot feet will solve this problem.

Mitchell

Jfinlay
Growing in Experience

Great idea. Would you suggest a stand on wheels for when I need to move it when I re-oil the deck?

Jennie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Jfinlay,

I don't believe I have seen a flat stand with wheels designed for troughs in the garden. They are normally designed for smaller pots. However, you could use a Move It Triangular Dolly if you placed one under all four corners.

If you used a higher set of feet you wouldn't need to move the trough and could simply oil around and under it. These feet only make contact with a very small surface area of the deck. This would most likely be the best choice as once the rose is established on the railing it might be difficult to move the pot away from it.

Mitchell

Jfinlay
Growing in Experience

Very helpful Thank you

Jfinlay
Growing in Experience

Would you have an idea of the depth needed for a pot or trough for a climbing rose?

jennie

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Noelle,

Would you please be able to assist @Jfinlay with the depth of pot needed for a typical climbing rose?

Many thanks,

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Jennie (@Jfinlay),

I apologise for the delay in my reply. I believe the 40cm depth of those troughs I suggested would be about perfect for a climbing rose. I wouldn't advise going much less than that.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects