Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Privacy screening

katita
Growing in Experience

Privacy screening

20191123_114153.jpg

Hi all,

I'm in need of some advice for some fast screening to block out the neighbour's kitchen window and an ugly fence.(please see photos)

Apologies in advance for the essay! :smile:

The initial area we need screened would be approx 2m × 2m & the garden bed 770 x 85cm. Ultimately we'd like to screen the whole fence but happy with just blocking the area in front of the window first. Our elderly male neighbour tends to want to see what I'm doing every time I am in the yard which is wearing thin and we also have direct line of sight from our kitchen window to his. (That green shadecloth is on his side of the fence).

We have considered (smaller)Lilly Pilly's or Murraya for a narrow hedge or putting in a Hardenbergia climber with trellises/plant supports in the middle of the bed (as the fence isn't high enough and also very long in the tooth but we cant afford to replace the fence right now) and also to allow easier management or pruning of the climber. The area we want screened asap is ground level for about 1.5m then there's a slightly raised bed along the remainder of the fence.

The fence runs North - South and the plants would be facing East so would get some morning and midday sun. The entertaining area roof means the bed is partly shaded for some of the day, more in winter(?) We are near Newcastle in NSW.

(We've only been here a year and the previous owners left all those pots in the photos.)

Thankyou for reading this far :smile:

20191123_114138.jpg

20191123_114225.jpg

katita
Growing in Experience

Re: Privacy screening

Thanks @Jason.

So, I contacted my local council for advice/regulations regarding Privacy Screens and I was directed to NSW Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt & Complying Development Codes).

Well, this has certainly changed our plans, in so far as having to leave a space of 900mm between fence and the screen. That brings the screen flush with the patio roof. We also want to avoid having to submit a DA for approval for this project!

I've attached screenshots of the info re: exempt privacy screen development below, for those who may be interested.

So we're now thinking of attaching outdoor roman bamboo blinds to the entertaining area roof for immediate privacy (& flexibility) while we install some trellises with fast growing climbers. We want to avoid having to submit a DA for this project!

20191219_081619.png

20191219_081642.png

IJAS
Getting Established

Hi Katita, what I have done before in your situation is to get some lattice put it on a frame and then paint both sides white, because white paint reflects the light and blurs the vision from seeing through into your home, it worked for me so good luck.   

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Arnt you going to mount the privacy screen to the existing fence? If thats the case - you dont require permission?  "....installation of a privacy screen that ****IS NOT***** attached to a boundary fence"

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"Ultimately we'd like to screen the whole fence but happy with just blocking the area in front of the window first"

Just a thought - and something I tried years ago.

Could you attach a long length of metal fence rail low down on your fence - with the "C" section facing upwards, at whatever height you desire.

So then at your leisure you can buy and insert bark/bamboo screens with the bottom end inserted into the C channel.

Shouldn't be difficult to attach the middle of the screens somewhere on the existing fence.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/australian-handyman-supplies-3m-galvanised-purlin-fence-rail_p0911005

Fence rail + bark screening.Fence rail + bark screening.

katita
Growing in Experience

Thanks IJAS that's a good option however I am wanting something that screens out the view completely if possible.

katita
Growing in Experience

Hi Prawns, We weren't going to attach it to the fence because we ideally wanted something growing over the screen and therefore want space behind it to control/prune any climbing plants we put there.
Thankyou for pointing that out though, as we are possibly going to have to end up doing that for the fastest result. 

katita
Growing in Experience

This is a great solution, thanks Noyade. This looks like it might also be perfect for the front of the house beside the carport where there is no fencing between the properties at all and cheaper than having to put up a whole new fence.

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Id speak with the neighbour? - He might appreciate a privacy screen also attached to the existing fenceline as well - especially if your paying to install it (hahahah)  If thats the case - he will probably prune his side himself? (even if you might end up with the clippings occasionally perhaps theres a spot he can leave them in a neat pile for you to dispose of if thats the case) 

I dont mind clipping my side of a privacy screen (vine) that the neighbours are growing along my back fenceline - better than the alternative of looking at their house IMO hahahhaha, the vines much prettier :smile:    I have a spot over the fence I drop the clippings over in a neat a pile as I can myself

Maybe worth asking at least dont be scared to ask worst case he says no. Just tell him your a keen gardener and maybe have some different plant options to start along the fenceline that you guys can agree on might also keep him happy?  You might be suprised at how accomodating neighbours can be if they think it also makes their house look nicer also and its not costing them anything :smile:

Edit - One of my old neighbours wanted to extend the height of our adjoining fence at a old rental i lived in, he bolted metal poles to his side of the fenceline somehow - and used holes in the poles to run wires through - he ran about 4 wires maybe 20 cm apart  - and put passionfruit in on his side  which grew along the wires - wow that thing grew fast and was completely private! (maybe another idea - just some posts and wire)

IJAS
Getting Established

Hey Katita, you can solve that by getting some white shade cloth and fixing it to your side of the screen they will never see through 

the shade cloth all white works great. 

Joey_75
Finding My Feet

To start with using lattice  with wood or metal frames along the top of the fence basically raising it that way you can use shade mesh among other things, that's just a start you will have alot more privacy.  I have the same problem but the whole one side of my house every window my neighbors are up higher the me and all there widows over look the back of my place this includes every window and back door there kitchen, lounge and dining room windows oh and let's not forget there two bedrooms aswell so thats how I have started to give me alot more privacy and it seems to be working..😀

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects