Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Problem with my Monstera from Bunnings

Adrian21
Getting Established

Problem with my Monstera from Bunnings

hi I purchased these two monstera from bunnings thought I scored some variegated ones now I'm starting to think something is definitely wrong with them. I suspect nutrient deficiency or mosaic virus ? Please let me know your thoughts.

Screenshot_20210208-184641_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210208-184632_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210208-184627_Instagram.jpg

16127706115802764300279503534297.jpg

16127706401161152630401178858942.jpg

16127706646834226186365128480746.jpg

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: monstera from bunnings

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Adrian21 and thanks for joining in the discussion.

I'm so sorry to hear that your monstera are struggling. How long have you had the plants at home for? Are they getting enough light? How often are you watering them? Let me tag @ProjectPete and @Adam_W to see if they can help diagnose the problem.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
Adrian21
Getting Established

Definitely enough light, watered a few days ago. The yellow spotting was there when I bought them from bunnings I thought it's either fertiliser burn or light variegation. No it's been 2 to 3 weeks since I've had them at home new leaves have come out with the same spotting and even one that is starting to unfurl is already damaged? And half whitish yellow. I just want to know what's going on lol.

16127776853297282051221543616600.jpg

16127777802916159436465898561669.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Adrian21,

I apologise for the issue you are experiencing with your Monstera. No doubt it's disappointing to think you've snagged a variegated specimen and then to suspect it's potentially not. The most common cause of yellowing leaves among Monsteras is improper soil moisture–in particular, over-watering. However, the leaves appear to be drooping, which could be a sign of under-watering.

Can you please let us know how often you have been watering, and what that watering involves? For example, I place my Monstera in a sink and run water into the pot from the tap until it completely saturates the soil. I'll let the water run until it can constantly be seen flowing out the bottom of the pot. I then allow the plastic pot to drain before returning it into the ornamental pot. I do this about once per week and only if the top 50mm of soil are dry, as the soil should remain damp but not wet.

It would also be helpful to know how much sunlight the plant receives throughout the day.

Regardless of the issues, all our plants are guaranteed for 12 months, so if you’re not 100% happy, return your plant (with receipt) and we’ll refund it. The only exclusions to this are seedlings and potted colour.

I look forward to hearing more about your watering regime and offering further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I water them the same. And in the photo shows where they are positioned and there lighting ill try give them some seasol or something to see if they perk up. Do you think it could be mosaic virus @MitchellMc?

20210209_144754.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Unfortunately, I'm not a Horticulturist @Adrian21. It looks like it could be mosaic virus, though the examples of leaf patterns I've seen don't match exactly.

Let me mention two of our Horticulturists @Adam_W and @Noelle to see if they can give you some advice. However, I suspect more specific details about your water regime and the amount of sunlight in hours they receive will be needed for an accurate diagnosis.

Mitchell

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Adrian21 

The whitish yellow spots are possibly a fungal disease on mature and emerging leaves.  Isolate affected plants and treat with an all purpose garden fertiliser. Make up a solution as per label directions, dip a soft cloth in it and and carefully wipe leaves.  Wear gardening or disposable gloves to protect your hands.

The white area on the juvenile leaf is not unusual, as the leaves really only develop full colour as they unfurl and start photosynthesising.

If the fungicide treatment doesn't cure the problem or stop the spread of the white spots/patches, then the cause may be a bacterial disease. Not much you can do about that, unfortunately as there aren't any antibiotics you can treat your plants with.

Don't over-water and keep plants in moderate to good ambient light out of direct sun through windows. Sometimes plants develop minor issues when moved from one location to another.  It may be the growing conditions in your home are quite different to those the plants have come from and they are taking some time to adjust.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for your expert advice @Noelle, I'm sure @Adrian21 appreciates your input.

Mitchell

Adrian21
Getting Established

Hi @noelle ok brilliant ill do that I have some neem oil will that work? If not I'll just return to bunnings and get new ones. I guess. :unhappy: thanks another to both yourself and @MitchellMc 

Hey @Adrian21 and welcome!
Oh dear, sad house-plants can be very frustrating. Not like a garden plant where you only see it a couple of times a week. Tend to be looking at our indoor plants a lot more often.
Everybody seems pretty on the money with their suggestions. Fact is that sometimes it's a case of a process of elimination to get to the root cause.
A funny thing to bear in mind too... over-watering can often have very similar symptoms to under-watering - a plant appears to wilt. People then rush to water it more or apply some liquid tonic & this then amplifies the problem. Funnily enough more house-plants die from over-watering than under...
Being too damp can also lead to fungal disorders so a host of issues there.
Follow the recommendations from @Noelle and I'd just be checking the potting mix letting the plant dry out a little too to make sure that's not an issue.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects