Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Quick growing (3-4m) plants/shrubs for FNQ

Moragajagga
Growing in Experience

Quick growing (3-4m) plants/shrubs for FNQ

We are looking at selling in June 2022. We have been in our home for 6 six years and have never mastered the backgarden.  Green thumbs we are not!   

Started with Gingers and Heliconia's - too messy/too much work

Then went Murray Island clumping bamboos - way too messy!

Have some LillyPillies and rapadacherias (?spelling) and cordylines growing.   Getting there - yay!  But need more.

Have a few gaps to fill.  Our neighbours on one side sit almost a metre higher, and it is the side our pool is on - also their  pool and patio looks over our side and so privacy is an issue.

Want easy to grow (not messy), quick growing, privacy plants for our side fences so that garden is private.  No rear neighbours (back on to a dry creek, retaining wall 2m with 3m gradient drop to creek - lovely years old trees

Need ideas! Thanks

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Quick growing (3-4m) plants/shrubs for FNQ

Hi Moragajagga,

It sounds as though your "rapadacherias" might be Rademacheras, which is perfect. They are tough, fast-growing bushy plants that have a soft, tropical look and clusters of fragrant flowers in season but they don't make a lot of mess. They can grow to 3m x 3m, or even bigger. 

There are many different varieties of lillypillies, but I imagine you have planted a tall screening variety. They also grow quickly but get very thirsty when it's dry. Make sure to water them as much as you can without leaving them sitting in soggy soil. 

Another popular, fast-growing screening plant is Murraya paniculata (aka "mock orange"). 

One thing to bear in mind when buying screening plants is that bigger plants grow faster. You can save money by buying smaller plants of the same variety, sure. But they are smaller to begin with, and they have fewer leaves (which are their solar panels) and they have a smaller root system so they can't suck up as much water and nutrients. If you want things to grow fast, buy the bigger ones. Give them good soil to grow into, maybe by mixing through some mushroom compost, and remember to water them deeply and often.

Do you have any photos you can share?

Brad

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Moragajagga. It's fantastic that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about screening plants.

It's awesome to see you've already had some wonderful suggestions from @BradN.

Have you considered using screening panels in combination with plants? Or installing a frame and espaliering climbers up it or over lattice? You should find @Adam_W's article on How to create privacy by planting useful.

Depending on the style of the boundary fence, we also have a range of fence extensions that you might find helpful.

By using panels, you can achieve instant privacy whilst you establish the plants. 

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @Moragajagga the issue you have is the height & density...
When it comes to many faster growing shrubs you can get one but not the other in a short time... so, for example, you may get some of the narrow fast lilly-pillies up to height but you won't get the width. Murraya you may get the width but not the height.
Personally I'm a fan of variegated dwarf Malay clumping bamboo and in fact have just planted another 20 to hide some hideous stuff a neighbour has done. It grows to around 3 to 4m and is very prunable. Unlike a lot of bamboos it also holds good foliage cover almost down to ground level. Much less temperamental than Murray Island. Not sure what you mean by 'messy'. The clumping bamboos will drop some leaves but no biggie, I just see them as self-mulching :smile:
These two photos show at planting & 6-months later. I'm in the sub-tropics so you would expect faster growth again.
As a horticulturist the only plants I know that will get you that sort of height and density in a short time frame are the clumping bamboos unless of-course you want to spend $100s per plant and buy super-advanced plants...

PlantingPlanting6-months growth6-months growth

Moragajagga
Growing in Experience

Thanks everyone!   Has anyone used these products? https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=fence%20screening%203m&sort=BoostOrder&page=1    Being in FNQ, if these were affixed to a fence (2m) would they be sturdy in windy conditions?   

Thinking of this one in grey:  https://www.bunnings.com.au/eden-1-8-x-3m-bamboo-pvc-garden-screen-fencing-with-capping_p3041017

Another question (really showing how hopeless I am now :-), are they 3m wide or 3m high?

Hi @Moragajagga,

I've used a variety of those products over the years. 

How were you thinking of attaching these to the fence? They are 1.8m high, so once they are fixed to a solid fence, they are perfectly sturdy. Were you thinking of fixing them above the top of the 2m fence? It sounds like you want to increase the height of the 2m fence with them and you could use them for that, but only maybe 30-60cm. They are not designed to be self supporting. Any more than 60cm and you'd need to attach extension posts to the fence and run guide wires between the posts. The screening can be fixed to the guide wires with twist or cable ties.

They are 3m wide. They have some rigidity in their height but none in the width.

Mitchell

Long fenceLong fenceLong fenceLong fenceIMG20211031055308.jpgIMG20211031055356.jpgIMG20211031055348.jpgIMG20211031055420.jpgIMG20211031055321.jpg

So, we want to put some sort of screening up on the left side of the garden - think its about 26m from front side gate to rear fence.  We would prob do on right side to 'balance' the appearance, but only 11m.   Either that, or quick growing shrubs - or both!   We have no rear neighbours (dry creek about 5m back).  

We are thinking of selling and if we do we want to put on market in July 2022.

I know attaching screens will be very expensive!  But I was thinking of a grey/ironstone sort of colour to make plants 'pop'

Having said that, we have to watch out budget and so that's why was asking about what plants would be an option. 

We live up in tropic FNQ.

\

I hope the pictures help.  

HI Mitchel - definitely wanting to increase height of either fence or plantings!

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm loving this site! :smile:

@Moragajagga,

Check in with your neighbours before increasing the height of the fence as their windows are very close to the boundary. If you obscure light to the window and your neighbours have a problem with that, you could run into difficulties. Extending a fence is a decision best made mutually between both neighbours. They might even be happy to split the cost with you, as they'd likely be happy with a bit more privacy on their balcony.

I think EDEN 1.8 x 3m Bamboo PVC Garden Screen Fencing With Capping would look fantastic run along the fence. Have you considered painting the fence with ironstone coloured paint to achieve that pop you're looking for? You should find this advice useful: How do you spray paint a fence? Check out our Top 10 most popular fence projects for inspiration as well.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects