Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Raised garden beds

TheSaltyreefer
Becoming a Leader

Raised garden beds

RaisedGardenBeds.jpg

Been very dry this year, but the Vegie patch is doing well.

I chose the Microshade Sleepers from Bunnings, look great and perfect for Garden\Kids play area's etc :smile: Termite resistant also

Made 2 straight up to get things going, based on a Hugelkulture principle, will be making 2 more shortly, Vegies are going well.

It startsIt startshere we gohere we gosetting in placesetting in place3.jpgHere we goHere we goLove itLove it

dannii
Finding My Feet

Re: Raised garden beds

Hi I was just wandering how much the set up all cost it looks awesome my backyard has nothing in it my 7 year old daughter has been through some trauma so I really want to make her something I'm told it's really great for therapy and she also loves gardens it's really hard though as I don't have alot of money to spend thankyou 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let me tag @TheSaltyreefer for you @dannii so he is alerted to your question about the approximate cost of building raised garden beds like he has done.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@dannii 

Hi there

the approx cost of each unit is around $150
you can make it cheaper if you wish to drop the height by a sleeper :smile: 

many diff ways you can approach these beds and many diff products can be used also

Jaimee
Just Starting Out

Is the entire garden filled with mushroom compost? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Jaimee, many thanks for joining in the discussion. We're rapt to have you join us.

This is a popular topic at the moment. Let me tag the wonderful @TheSaltyreefer for you so he is alerted to your question.

You might also be interested in these recent discussions which have covered the topic of how to fill a large raised garden bed:

Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house or garden. We have amazing members sharing helpful ideas and creative and inspiring projects on the site every day. And please don't hesitate to reach out if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site. I'm happy to help.

Thanks again,

Jason

Hiya @Jaimee 

No the beds are based on Hugelkulture, so basically 3/4 of the height when I first built them in branches, logs and sticks, and then back filled with composted soil from our chicken and goats and topped with Mushroom compost.

over the course of time the branches and logs will break down and add lots of goodies into the soil.

once a year when I rotate crops in them i back fill with a good soil, etc

hope this helps :smile:

Carnetik
Finding My Feet

@TheSaltyreefer the 2.4m post you used are they 100x100mm treated pine or are they Cypress 100x100mm?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Carnetik. I'm sure @TheSaltyreefer will get back to you about the timber he used as soon as possible.

Welcome to Workshop. We have an amazing community of people here sharing helpful advice and inspiring project ideas every day. We're looking forward to reading all about your own projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share.

Jason

Shade question for you @TheSaltyreefer.

Have you had to put shading on any of the sides at all?

I have some raised beds that I'll be looking at adding a shading structure to and I'm just wondering how your vegies go with just the over head shading.

Thanks in advance.

@Carnetik 

plain old treated pine (With a twist)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects