Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Re-potting tomatoes

GraceGreenthumb
Just Starting Out

Re-potting tomatoes

Tomatoes.jpgI have some tomato plants that have to be repotted but I'm not sure how.

I know that it needs to be done soon because most of the leaves have gone purple.

I'm not sure what I would need in terms of potting mix and I don't actually even really know how often to water them.

Can someone help me out?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Re-potting tomatoes

Hi @GraceGreenthumb,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Great to have another keen gardener join us. We're sure you will find plenty of like-minded people in the community that you can learn from as we have clever and creative members sharing helpful advice and inspiration on the site every day.

Let me tag the amazing @Noelle to see if she might like to kick off this discussion and share her experience with you about repotting your plants. Noelle has written some really informative How-to guides for us that you might like to read, including:

You might also be interested in these resources:

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Re-potting tomatoes

Hi @GraceGreenthumb 

Start by buying or re-using some pots about 300 - 400mm diameter (across the top). Plastic or terracotta pots will do.  Then make sure you use a premium potting mix suitable for tomatoes, such as Osmocote Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Premium Mix.

This mix contains the right fetiliser to keep your tomatoes growing well, as well as boosted calcium to assist in the prevention of common tomato diseases such as blossom end rot. Try not to disturb the roots too much when moving your plants from their old pots to the new ones.

Watering can be tricky, with over-watering the major problem. Regardless of what type of pot you use, water only when the top 50mm or so of soil is dry to the touch. Stick your index finger into the mix to the second knuckle - if it comes out dry then it's time to water. Add sufficient so the potting mix is thoroughly wet and excess water is draining out the base of the pot.  Don't water again until the finger test tells you more moisture is needed. Terracotta pots will dry out quicker than plastic pots, so check every 2-3 days.

Use a liquid fertiliser diluted with water at the recommended rate every fortnight to keep plants growing strongly.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects