Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing Photinia Hedges

Newbie21
Getting Established

Removing Photinia Hedges

I would like to remove ten well established photinia hedges. They are over 2 metres tall (may be more than 10 years old).

I'm planning to plant some citrus trees in this place. What tools are required to prune the hedge ? Should I dig out the roots?  If I don't dig the roots will it grow back ?. Any other options to stop the plant from growing without digging the roots. Can I install a raised garden bed after pruning the hedge but without removing the roots.IMG_20200902_104915.jpgIMG_20200902_104954.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing Photinia Hedges

Hi @Newbie21

I would recommend a bow saw and a pair of bypass loppers for removing the hedges. You can use the loppers to trim back the branches exposing the base of the plants. You would then cut the plants as close to the ground as possible with the bow saw.

A couple of step-by-step D.I.Y. articles which I trust you'll find helpful are How to remove a tree and How to remove tree stumps.

Once the plants have been cut back apply Yates 250ml Tree And Blackberry Weed Killer Concentrate to the freshly cut surface. If you are able to drill holes into the trunk and fill them up with the liquid all the better. You can then cap those holes off with some mud to stop the liquid evaporating. It might require two applications of the tree killer but this will stop the hedge growing back.

If you are going to build a raised garden bed I see no reason why you would need to remove the roots as they won't affect what you grow within the bed. If you are planting into the ground then I think you'll find the area will be filled with roots and you'll most likely need to remove them before planting new trees.

You might like to make a post on your local Facebook group advertising the plants for free if someone is willing to dig them out. These are some lovely established plants and I trust any person who liked Photinias would be pleased to have them.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Removing Photinia Hedges

Thanks for the detailed instructions Mitchell. I have already posted on marketplace for free but no one was interested.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects