Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rose plant - Leaf browning

thisischandar
Growing in Experience

Rose plant - Leaf browning

Hi all,

I have read through some of the posts in this community and hoping to get some help here.

The leaves in my rose plant are getting some brown patches and I am unsure how to get this treated.(pics attached)

I am afraid my plant would die if this is not treated in a timely manner. Any suggestions/help in this regard will be much appreciated.

There were some bugs previously, treated the with soap water and now I couldn't find the bugs(fingers crossed)20210817_120950.jpg

20210817_121008.jpg

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Regards,

Bala

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Rose plant - Leaf browning

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Bala (@thisischandar). It's brilliant that you've joined us and many thanks for your question about rose care.

Can I start by asking if this rose is still in the same pot you purchased it in and have you added any fertiliser recently? I can see you have a saucer under the pot with water in it. How damp is the soil and how often do you water? Finally, how much sunlight does this plant receive throughout the day?

You might like to have a read through this helpful guide: How to grow and care for roses.

I look forward to hearing more about your plant and offering further advice.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for taking time to respond to my query and the article shared. Please find my response below. 

- The plant is not in the same pot as purchased

- Just watered the plant today morning

- Normally we will water the plant once in 2 days

- Plant is placed in my unit balcony, gets sunlight around 5-6hours per day

- Used the below fertiliser roughly 2-3 months before

https://www.bunnings.com.au/richgro-2-5kg-all-purpose-complete-garden-fertiliser_p2961374

However we are noticing the browning after the bugs. 

Regards,

Bala

That all sounds good, Bala (@thisischandar).

I'd suggest only watering the plant through the colder months when the top 5cm of soil is dry. Stick your finger in the soil, and if it is still moist, don't water. I suspect your watering regime of every two days might be a bit excessive. Once or twice a week should be adequate. Obviously, when the weather begins to warm up, you can increase the watering.

It might be a good idea to trim those dead areas off, as they could be residual damage from the infestation. Apart from the browned areas, the plant looks quite reasonable.

Fingers crossed, it should be just fine.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks again. I tired chopping those dead leaves previously too.

But its still keep occurring, hence bit worried and reached out for help.

Regards,

Bala

Thanks for the additional information, Bala (@thisischandar).

Let me tag a couple of our horticultural experts, @Noelle and @Adam_W, to see if they have any advice.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Hope you are doing well. Things getting worse with my rose plant

I could see the bugs are back again :unhappy: treated them with soap water. The leaves are also drowing.

Could you please advise. Pics attached for reference.

Regards,

Bala

20210822_101831.jpg20210822_101849.jpg

@thisischandar,

I'm so sorry that your rose is looking worse; that's not good to hear.

The soap and water should work if applied consistently. Since if you don't get this under control you'll lose the plant, I'd suggest purchasing Eco-Organic Garden 100ml Eco-Neem Concentrate. Either soap and water or Neem oil must be applied every seven days to stop the aphids from returning. When you spray either of them, make sure to get up and under the leaves as well, saturating the plant until the solution runs off.

You can use a strong stream of water to knock the aphids on the stem off. Be gentle with the leaves, as they look like they've already received a beating.

Fingers crossed that if you manage to get the aphids under control, the plant will have a chance to bounce back.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the suggestion. Will give a try and keep you posted.

Regards,

Bala

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects