Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rusted garden edging - sealant product

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Rusted garden edging - sealant product

I'm doing some landscaping and will be installing some of this rusted edging.

rustededging1.png

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-1180mm-garden-edging-strip_p3042362

One of the garden beds I'm using it on will have it running along my aggregate concrete. I don't want to get rust stains on my concrete so wondering which product you recommend for sealing it to prevent the run off and staining.

TIA

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Rusted garden edging - sealant product

Heya @ProjectPete,

We used those rusted edging strips when updating the side of our house a few years ago. I reckon they look terrific. Let me check tonight whether there's been any rust stains on the adjacent stones. I don't believe so, but I guess it's much better to be safe than sorry in regards to protecting your concrete at your new home. Hopefully another member can provide some suggestions about sealing the strips, but you could try something like this?  

Jason 

IMG_1835.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @Jason - could be the way to go.

Pretty excited to get the front done as pretty much everything else it but a sandy front yard let's the place down a bit. Going for plenty of dimension and textures in the design. Will slowly chip away at it all over the next few weeks.

----------
Handy and helpful

@ProjectPete 

Had a close look at the stones last night and yes, there was some evidence of rust stains. So sealing them would be important. Let us know how you go with a trial of the Cold Gal - not sure whether it will affect the look of the edging strips too much?

Jason

Sideway.jpg 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for following up @Jason! I'll buy a length tonight, seal it and see how it goes in the rain for a bit. Failing that, I could set the border back 50mm or so from the concrete and fill the gap with some decorative stones for example.

Will keep you posted.

----------
Handy and helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects