Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I use pebbles as ground cover under trees?

ron3alex
Cultivating a Following

Should I use pebbles as ground cover under trees?

Hi everyone,

I have got to finish landscape for my front  yard. We have got huge space to workaround and have existing trees and few plants.

im planning to put pebbles (bigger ones) to cover the whole area.

my only concern is since we need to trim the trees and leaves fall most of the times  is it good to cover pebbles under these trees?

can they be easily blown away through blower ?

please advise I really need to finish this job once and for all. 🤓

any other suggestions or advice will also help

thank you all 

image.jpg

image.jpg

0C52BCB0-541E-4A63-89ED-55A8B1B3F7D8.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden advice

Hi @ron3alex,

I'd have to say blowing leaves out of the crevices in such large rocks will be relatively difficult. I've seen some professionals lay down a tarp around the plant before they start trimming. Once completed, they simply pick up the tarp and dispose of the trimmings. Another option might be to drop the stone size down to around 20-30mm under those trees. Something large enough that can't be blown away, but that still creates a relatively flat surface.

Let me mention @Adam_W to see if he knows of any tips and tricks or has other ideas for ground coverings.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: Garden advice

Hi @ron3alex as @MitchellMc said leaves will be very hard to move. Laying down a tarp is a very useful technique.
However... over time you will get material builds up in the pebbles and becomes like a soil layer especially when you have a weed-mat down.
Personally... I wouldn't be using a weed-mat and I'd use a good thick layer of regular (not pebble) mulch.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects