Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should you keep greenhouse vents closed?

macsmum07
Growing in Experience

Should you keep greenhouse vents closed?

Hi All

I decided I wanted to try to grow plants from seeds.  So off I went to Bunnings to get the supplies, I planted the seeds: Morning Glory, Coleus and Aquilegia in my "greenhouse" and placed it on the windowsill

PXL_20210720_023434802.jpg

It appears to be doing its greenhouse thing today.  There are two vents at the top, I currently have them closed, my question is: am I supposed to open those vents to let any of the heat out of just leave them closed until I see sprouts?  

Thanks! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should you keep greenhouse vents closed?

Hello @macsmum07,

Thank you for sharing that question about your greenhouse.

It's fantastic that you've decided to grow your own plants. The little vents in your greenhouse are used for ventilation and moisture control. Too much moisture traps the water in the greenhouse and starts to produce mould. Opening the vents allows the air to circulate in the greenhouse and keeps the temperature stable.

My number one suggestion to prevent ants and grubs from entering is to cover the vents with some Permastik XL Fly Screen Repair Patches - 3 Pack. You just need to cut them to size and stick them on from the bottom of the cover.   

Let me tag our knowledgable greenthumb @Noelle to see if she has any further tips for you about growing from seeds in your greenhouse. You might also find this Bunnings guide useful: How to plant seeds.

Thanks,

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
macsmum07
Growing in Experience

Re: Should you keep greenhouse vents closed?

Hi @EricL 

What a great idea at the fly screen patches, I wouldn't  have thought of that.

I thought I would appreciate plants more if I grew them, so fingers crossed some of the planted seeds germinate.  I will keep you posted.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects