Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Stop soil rotting the fence

christmas
Just Starting Out

Stop soil rotting the fence

What the best thing to put infront of a colour bond fence to stop soil rotting the fence as i need to build it up a foot or so with dirt

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Stop soil rotting the fence

Hi @christmas,

So sorry, I just noticed that your question hasn't yet had a reply. Have you sorted out this issue with your fence? If not, I would be happy to tag members who could make some suggestions for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

@christmas 

Use concrete sleepers - https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/building-hardware/landscape/sleepers/concrete-sleepers

Second best option would be treated pine sleepers. 

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

Hi @christmas 

Talk to your local Bunnings assistant who will have more specific product advice as to what is available, but Bitumen Waterproofing is a very cost effective and cheap insurance for what you are doing.

All the best with your research.

Kind regards Rob 👍

Oldtimer
Finding My Feet

Get Colorbond sheets the same colour as the fence, dig the garden deep enough to allow the sheeting to sit under the ground and interlock each sheet to follow the fence hard up against the railing.

I wouldn't screw the sheet to the rail as this will eventually rust where the holes are. My fence is sitting under a tree so its getting a lot of leaves in it.

I put these fences up for many years and when ever l had to repair one it alway's rotted or rusted out where a dog had a pee on it. Make shure you measure enough for the off cut sheet to go into the ground and to cover the rail.

Cut the sheets with a pair of curved tin snips.

15737916421811778129640.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @Oldtimer. I'm sure Workshop members appreciate it. 

It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge and experience to share with the community so we look forward to seeing more of your posts soon. And we trust that you'll get loads of helpful advice and project inspiration in return from others. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. And please let me know if I can ever assist in getting the most from Workshop.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects