Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Strong solid garden arch

Newbie21
Getting Established

Strong solid garden arch

I would like to build a strong garden arch (2300mm x 2300mm x 900mm) but not handy with woodwork or welding. I'm planning to grow climbing roses.

I bought some 15mm galvanized pipes, Tee and Elbow connectors. I'm facing a problem in connecting them.

The problem is that when I try to make a rectangle with four sections of pipe and four elbows/t-joints, I can't attach the fourth corner together because tightening the fourth section of pipe into the fourth joint by turning it clockwise would un-screw the third joint because it would be turning counter-clockwise.Is there a workaround for this ? Suggestions for using any other material.arch.png

Thanks,

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Strong solid garden arch

Hi @Newbie21,

As you've discovered, it is generally quite difficult to make squares, rectangles or closed loops out of the threaded galvanised pipe. The last joint always unscrews the previous. A workaround is that on the second last join, you screw the pipe in as far as it will go. Then, for the last join, only screw it in half the rotations of the previous. This will screw your last join together but not fully unscrew the pipe from the previous join. You share the threads between the two. So, if a join screws in six full rotations, only screw the last join in three. Only using half the threads on those joins should still leave you with a very rigid frame.

I hope this makes sense. Let me know how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Strong solid garden arch

Thanks @MitchellMc,

I'll give this a try.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects