Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions for climbing plants to screen fence?

Gardencare
Finding My Feet

Suggestions for climbing plants to screen fence?

l have fencing at the front by the highway .l really wanted something that would grow into a hedge but was told it would take too long to grow high.Would it possible to plant some sort of climbing bush that would cover the fencing and block us from the highway? Any help would be appreciated  Thanks David

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Hedging

Hi @Gardencare 

I

I dont blame you wanting to  screen Hwy.  Are you trying to block the view, noise , lights,  pollution, physical security? maybe all 5

When I was waiting  for screening plants to grow I put up tempary lattice  fences and a one made of shade cloth on a frame its taken 5 years for my gardinias to grow suitably thick.

You meantioned fence ? 1.8m If  so you might put garden wire mesh on the fence and extend it up another 300mm and  grow some thing fast like star  jasmine.  Or security and beauty  boganvillia one prickly plant.

So  where  do you live which part of you country you live in as  gardeners here might be able to give you faster growing options.  and some clues as to height you want and the space you have for the  hedge and  what you are wishing to block.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Suggestions for climbing plants to screen fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Gardencare. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about screening plants.

You might like to provide more details on the fence's construction and some pictures so our members can better understand what you're working with. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images. 

There are plenty of climbing plants you could grow over the fence, but if there is an additional height requirement for screening purposes, you might look towards fence extensions to allow the climber to grow to a higher level. There are also many screening options that you could use in combination with your climber. Have a read through these guides: How to create privacy by planting and How to choose a hedging plant.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Dear Mitchell

Thankyou for your reply.l have been thinking it over and have decided it would take too long for the fencing to be completely covered but thankyou for your suggestions.

Kind regards

David

Hi @Gardencare,

Just for the benefit of other readers of this discussion, I would recommend Jasmine. It grows very fast and looks beautiful. You can have a look at a couple of very popular projects that use Jasmine as screening:

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Hedging

Hi

Thankyou for your reply and helpful information.l am leaving it for now as something else has cropped

up 

Cheers

David 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects