Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions for rock hard clay soil

jeanette01
Getting Established

Suggestions for rock hard clay soil

ClaySoil.jpg

I'm trying to sat up some native & tropical garden beds.

I'm in SE Qld,my soil is ROCK hard clay literally can't turn it over have to dig my planting holes with the pick axe and fill the hole with organic compost.

Can anyone suggest something I can water into the clay soil to help break it up and repair the years of damage?

We've only recently moved in.

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Re: Suggestions for rock hard clay soil

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

@jeanette01

As Daryl has suggested, you will want to buy bags of gypsum to help break down your clay soil. There is also a product that you can spray on but the powder is more effective. 

Good luck.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

This looks like another good Gardening Australia fact sheet on improving your soil - http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1503292.htm

In addition to gypsum, it mentions mushroom compost, blood and bone, complete fertiliser, chicken and sheep manure and dolomite to build up layers and improve the soil. 

dj0003
Finding My Feet

Hi

as a self employed gardener I recommend

Richgro All Purpose Garden Soil Mix 25L $3.95

it contains soil wetter & gypsum which will aid with

breaking up the clay etc.

check it out at www.bunnings.com.au

cheers

you'll find all the Richgro range an excellent products at an excellent price !
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion and a very warm welcome to Workshop @dj0003.

As a professional gardener I'm sure you will have a lot to offer the community in terms of advice, information and expertise. I trust you will also get some ideas from other members of the community.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon. Please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see you get plenty of helpful suggestions for improving your soil @jeanette01. Please let us know how you go down the track.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jeanette01
Getting Established

Thanks everyone for your helpful tips,I sure will I'm thinking of using compost,seasol with conditioners & water savers

Trying
Making a Splash

Hi Jeanette01, I lived in SE Qld for many years and started with the same garden problem you are facing. The answer is gypsum,good compost,and elbow grease.And plenty of all three ! Good luck to you.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects