Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions wanted for front lawn

penelopepink
Just Starting Out

Suggestions wanted for front lawn

I have watered , fed mowed , weeded and my lawn on the corner block looks like it has been poisoned. Thinking of laying artificial lawn as a last resort but worried about letterbox delivery riders damaging etc. any suggestions?

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Suggestions wanted for front lawn

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @penelopepink. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about lawn suggestions.

You lawn appears incredibly compacted and is in desperate need of aeration. If you intend on restoring it, I would suggest the first step would be to hire a lawn corer and go over the area. You could attempt to do it by hand with a spiked aerator, as it's such a small area, but it could be tough going getting it to penetrate. Make sure it's just been raining or wet the soil to soften it. You'd then go through the process of top dressing and re-seeding. It's likely a three to five-month process.

Regarding your question on artificial turf, I believe it will withstand damage very effectively and likely far more than your grass. However, it's best to check with your local council as although it will look better than your current grassed area, many councils have restrictions on artificial lawns on nature strips.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your reply. I’m in the City of Joondalup and tried to get a clear answer on this. I believe they can ask you to remove the artificial lawn which would be a shame. You’re right about the soil being compacted as I had to dig some out and replace it . It came out very solid. Not looking forward to the journey ahead :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @penelopepink 

I definitely agree with @MitchellMc regarding aerating the soil. On the next big deluge and the soil gets deeply watered, I suggest using Fiskars Light Garden Fork. Push the fork as deep as you can and rock the fork to split the soil above. This will allow water and other soil nutrients to penetrate deep.

It might take a while, but once the soil is properly prepared you can either use seed to grow grass or get instant turf slabs to go on the surface.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay turf

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects