Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Synthetic turf preparation and edging

siva26
Cultivating a Following

Synthetic turf preparation and edging

Hi Experts,

Need some advise.

I'm laying synthetic turf for my backyard and I'm in the process of digging the soil/clay/dirt. I'm aware the I need to dig 100 mil and fill up crush rock and dust at 80/20. 2 questions:

1) After digging out the soil/clay/dirt, certain areas has got some bumps here and there so would the crush rock and compacting fill those bumps up and make it level after completing?

2) I need an edging done as I have sectioned out the right area for top soil and the rest for synthetic turf(Pic Attached). I would like a timber flushes out well and it not too much exposed(Just like the attached pic). Any advise which type of outdoor timber I should be getting from Bunnings and the anchor for it?

Thanks

IMG-20211117-WA0000.jpegIMG-20211116-WA0001.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Synthetic turf preparation and edging

Hello @siva26

Thank you for sharing your question about synthetic turf preparation and garden edging.

Once you place your filling material the compacting machine will level the top nice and straight. The timber edging you are looking at is the SpecRite 140 x 7mm 2.25m Pre-Oiled Merbau FJ Garden Edging. You'll notice that if you currently have this type of edging in your garden it is partially buried into the soil. You can create a channel by using Saxon Steel D-Handle Garden Spade or a similar garden tool with a steel straight edge.

It sounds like a fantastic project. Any updates you can provide while working on your project would be much appreciated. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
siva26
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL 

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

With regards to this SpecRite 140 x 7mm 2.25m Pre-Oiled Merbau FJ Garden Edging, instead of just digging a channel to secure this down can I instead use like a peg meant for this to secure it to the ground for better reinforcement?

Thanks

Siva

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @siva26

If you don't wish to dig and only want to use pegs, I suggest using Growies 17 x 17mm 600mm Hardwood Garden Stakes - 10 Pack. You can cut them into smaller pieces to fit your needs. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

siva26
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL ,

Thanks once again! I'm about to head to Bunnings to get the items. Will update ya.

Thanks

Siva

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We can't wait to see your results @siva26. Keep us updated and reach out if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects