Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

The cacti obsession is real

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

The cacti obsession is real

My obsession with cacti and succulents hasn't wavered and I'm struggling to get my hands on some of the rarities I desire. Here are a few of my mates.

20190716_171050.jpg 20190721_125816.jpg 20190728_112429.jpg 20190728_165820.jpg 20190729_172501.jpg 20190729_172601.jpg

Are there any Perth/WA members here that can recommend good/secret suppliers in WA? I've got a few good spots but I'm always looking for more :smile: with a particular interest in the rare and exotic.

I'm also after some large and healthy cacti for my pool area. I have large San Pedro and would like some blue variety as well as another large Candelabra and a Saguaro if possible.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Re: The cacti obsession is real

This will make your mouth water @ProjectPete 

mypicture-11223.jpg

Screenshot_20190911-144409.png

Screenshot_20190905-201939.png

Screenshot_20190819-233619.png

I like the look of those timber blocks @gippslandhome. Definitely keen to make some of those up for my smaller ones.

----------
Handy and helpful
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

front yard cacti, the birdbath, and some overwintering mates in the alfresco - need to put them out soon! Please ignore my weeds!WIN_20190925_12_10_47_Pro.jpgWIN_20190925_12_13_08_Pro.jpgWIN_20190925_12_14_28_Pro.jpg

Always nice to see a GB in the mix @Former Workshop member  :smile: My friend has been growing some from seeds. I'm picking up another one soon, going for the white-spined version though.

----------
Handy and helpful
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@ProjectPete

Yeah, I really fancy the Golden Barrels. That's from a woman who loves English cottage gardens, mind you, but that was never gonna happen in coastal Adelaide. I've started to love the cacti and succulents now. All from refusing to be a slave to the garden.

I have some GB seeds hanging about somewhere, but we were building so they're 'on hold' somewhere in the shuffle. 

Hubby was never quite convinced until he walked out there one evening and all the cacti had haloes from the westering sun in their spines... now he's a believer!

So once the bug bites, then you have to have everything! My pride and joy is a rat's tail cactus hanging in the back - a thin one, not the big fuzzy one...

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Just realised I'd said most of that in an earlier post - never can keep up with which cactus person I'm talking to! I really like your big tall ones, but I'll have to wait for mine to grow. Here's to kicking back for the next 20 yrs until they do!
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@ProjectPete 

Hosting a party week after next - thought I better start jazzing up the succulent planters, lol. A small sample

WIN_20190930_08_31_35_Pro.jpg

@Former Workshop member Patience is definitely critical in growing cacti, unlike my indoor tropical plants (Monstera, Thai Constellation, Fiddle Leaf Fig, etc) which just grow like crazy

----------
Handy and helpful
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@ProjectPete, oh gosh - monstera... I'd love one. Gotta go looking - I hear the fruit of one form is really tasty?

I mostly keep the sansevieria and zamioculcas inside... indestructible. I have a pothos snow queen and a vanilla planifolia orchid - also indestructible.

I keep elephant's ear (the big colocasia) in the alfresco and the porch along with the fatsia japonica - they grow like we're on a nuclear waste dump, just mutant-style rampant and I grow the purple tradescantia underneath in the pots. I'll put them in the garden beds under the pergola as soon as I get the shade cloth up. Which needs doing right now... my only hope of growing a hydrangea! I'll try to create a micro-climate with the hardy tropicals for it.

I just ordered Echeverias!

'Fire Opal' 'Paul Bunyan' 'Zorro' and 'Strawberry Paddle' - I'll post pics when they arrive. The Succulent Garden had a 50% off sale as they're being sold, themselves. I got lucky to get large ones for the price of small.

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@ProjectPete 

Found anything else?

Saved this pachypodium dude from certain death at BW today... potted into a much more free draining mix. He was very exxy, but so worth it, he looks happier already. It's in a fairly light inner pot, so I can move it indoors in winter - had to drill holes in the outer ceramic pot, so made an afternoon of it, drilling holes in all the things I had in mind for planters.

My background mess is growing - I feel I've done nothing but potting everlastingly, over the last couple of weeks or so. Gotta sweep and karcher, but not until it's over, lol. Spring is a potty time for the succulent hordes...

Adelaide is hosting Succulenticon convention next year in October - can't wait!

IMG_4642.JPG

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects