Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tree stump had borers - mulch ok to use or remove?

suehill
Finding My Feet

Tree stump had borers - mulch ok to use or remove?

We just had a tree stump removed that was badly affected by tree borers. My question is about what to do with the tree mulch. Can it be spread around the garden? Don't want to spread the problem around the yard! We want to plant something else in the area soon. Thanks folks 😊

4C68DBEE-DD88-43B6-983E-472819D5A063.jpeg

6177FC6B-FB80-44C4-9927-2158870810E0.jpeg

D9706494-3E14-44BB-9677-0C6F81D2D2BA.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: tree stump had borers - mulch ok to use or remove

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @suehill. It's great that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question.

I'd suggest that to avoid any other plants or timber around your home becoming the next meal for the borers, bag and dispose of the mulch. I'd also recommend that you spray down the immediate and surrounding areas with David Grays 500ml Ant and Termite Spray to kill the remaining borer.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask why you'd recommend this product when we don't have problem with termite or ants? Also solution needs to be pet friendly as have both cats & dogs.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@suehill,

The David Grays 500ml Ant and Termite Spray is Permethrin based. Permethrin is an insecticide used in a wide range of products to control a variety of insects in the home and garden. The David Grays product is also suitable for pinhole borers, auger beetle, powder post beetles and furniture beetles and is likely the least toxic approach you could take. Do you happen to know what type of borer was present in the tree?

In regards to it being pet friendly, it's an insecticide and should be kept away from pets. I am not aware of any pet-friendly product that would kill the borer. I believe the best course of action would be to remove the debris left from the tree and clean up the area as best as possible.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Tree stump had borers - mulch ok to use or remove?

Hello @suehill 

I second @MitchellMc 's recommendation. Do not use the nested timber and spray the surrounding area just to be safe. 

Cheers 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects