Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tree tomato problem

gore
Building a Reputation

Tree tomato problem

IMG20200830091516.jpg

IMG20200830091523.jpg

IMG20200830091724.jpg

  suddenly i saw like that in the pictures seen.i looked for some insects but i didn't found.i apply oil pest too and provide enough water too now.                                                     Can you suugest me other possible treatment and cause of it.thanx

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: tree tomato

Hi @gore,

Tamarillos can be susceptible to a few fungal leaf conditions like Powdery mildew, Verticillium wilt and Ascochyta disease. It doesn't appear to be Powdery mildew but the other two diseases show similar signs to what you have pictured. They can be effectively treated using a sulphur based spray like Mancozeb.

There are a couple of other viral and bacterial diseases that can't be treated and only managed.  I'd recommend applying some Richgro 5kg Organics Vegetable And Tomato Plant Food to ensure your plant is getting all the nutrients it needs and can stave off an attack.

Tamarillos also like an open free draining soil but also need plenty of water. Try to keep your watering to the base of the plants and not the leaves.

Let me mention @mich1972 to see if she has any experience with tomato diseases or more specifically Tamarillos.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hard to say if it’s fungal.,The first photo looks like Caterpillar damaged. The second photo looks like a die back or a burn. Hard to tell. The rest of the foliage looks quite healthy. Keep an eye on it. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tree tomato problem

@mich1972,

I noticed a fair amount of semi-circular "bite" marks as well. Would your preference be applying Yates 40g Natures Way Caterpillar Killer Dipel Insecticide or to just leave it and see how it goes?

Many thanks for contributing your expert advice to the discussion.

Mitchell

With Dipel you need to spray the caterpillars on contact. Check daily as the fuzzy caterpillars are hungry and will strip your plants fast !! 

gore
Building a Reputation

Hi Mich!, last time i have flower on it and start to have little fruit on it but after that feltdown in small all of them.could u plz suggest why and what to use to hold the fruit on the tree.thank you once again.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

If you have flower / fruit dropping your plants may have a trace element deficiency. It’s normally deficient of Potassium. Adding Sulphate of Potash every 3-4 weeks will help strengthen and promote more flowers and fruits. I like the soluble Potash that you can add straight into your watering can 😊

gore
Building a Reputation

Thank you @mich1972 ,I will do it,

gore
Building a Reputation

tree tomato

IMG20201001101904.jpg

IMG_20201001_115233.jpg

 its looks lovely seeing lots of flowers on it.i see black spots on the flower is it need to worry about it?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gore,

What products have you tried since we last spoke about the condition of the tree tomatoes?

The spots on the flowers could have to do with the previous issues we were discussing.

Mitchell 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects