Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Types of Weeds in Buffalo lawn

LinL
Just Starting Out

Types of Weeds in Buffalo lawn

My buffalo lawn is infested with two types of weeds. I’m not sure what they are. Is the thin tall one Wintergrass? What kind of weed killer would be suitable to kill these weeds? Should I use a weed and feed or a more specific kind of weed killer?

Thanks 

image.jpg

1311FCCB-40EC-4A4E-9C75-88FA8CA5468A.jpeg

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Types of Weeds in Buffalo lawn

Hello @LinL

Thanks for sharing your question about identifying the weeds in your buffalo lawn. I suggest using Yates 4L BuffaloPro Hose On Lawn Weed Kille. It's safe for buffalo and other common lawn types.  This is a safer option if you’re unsure what lawn type you have. As for the weed with tall thin leaves, I suspect it might be onion weed.

If it is, I suggest manually trying to control it first. Cut it as low as possible to stop the plant from photosynthesizing, this will also have the effect of stopping the weed from creating more seeds and eventually dying. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations on controlling the weeds in your garden.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to weed your lawn.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Types of Weeds in Buffalo lawn

Hi @LinL 

A lawn weeder and feeder labelled specifically as being suitable for buffalo lawns will be appropriate to use on any lawn type for the control of broadleaf weeds.  But this type of product will not control grassy weeds or onion weed.  Eric has given you a guide for onion weed - cutting it off low to starve the underground bulbs is essential. Eventually it will die out with this technique but it will take diligence, patience and lots of mowing!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects