Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled bathtub worm farm

Upcycler01
Having an Impact

Upcycled bathtub worm farm

82C92286-5233-41D7-BCF4-1EEEC0C7966E.jpeg

608FD710-8841-4B93-96ED-F4088138291D.jpeg

My father inlaw created this awesome worm farm out of completely recycled materials for me. I know the lid will get hot in summer but I have dampened hessian bags on top of my worms and also a reflective material to help reflect the sun away from the worms. The worms are flourishing and he has even created a second one for me to use at my work. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upcycled bathtub worm farm

Wow, that looks fantastic, @Upcycler01! I'm sure your worms are loving their new setup.

Let me mention one of our worm-rearing aficionados, @mich1972, as I'm sure she'll be keen to check it out. I know she's been using a recycled bath as her worm enclosure for some time now, so she might have some handy tips or issues to look out for.

If you added Strol 0.5m² SurePave Plastic Pavers or drainage gravel in the bottom of the bath with weedmat on top, perhaps you could then insert a ball valve below that line which could be used to harvest the worm pee. I think that's how it works, isn't it? I'm not too familiar with where to harvest the wee, but I presume it's the lower level. It's not recycled, but I knocked up this compost bin/worm farm out of a wheelie bin so we could donate it to a local school. Whoever thought of the idea is a genius.

Many thanks for sharing, and I look forward to your next project.

Mitchell

Compost bin.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the reply Mitch. I’ve had worm farms for quite a few years now and this is just an upgrade on my old system. I do have drainage in place at the base too with seedling trays to raise up the level and we’d hat on top but I don’t run my farms with too much moisture, it’s just the liquid from the food that’s in the farm so generally I don’t have any excess liquid. I do make worm tea from the casting though. 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@Upcycler01  This makes my heart happy 😃 Seriously it’s the best way !! I absolutely love it. Well done, you will definitely enjoy the benefits of your Black Gold liquid fertiliser 😊
@MitchellMc  I also love that wheelie bin worm farm as well. 

Unfortunately with the extreme heat wave we had here in Perth , our bathtub worm farm suffered ( even though it is under cover and protected ) these are part of ups and downs with Gardening, working with the Weather conditions. 

I use to have 3 worm farms but the bath tub is fantastic. That’s unfortunate about the heat, we are on the south coast and have been hit with rain but I am hoping in summer they will survive the heat. Good luck if you embark on a new worm farm. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects