Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Using a drill

deedums
Getting Established

Using a drill

I hope someone can enlighten me. I want to drill drainage holes in small and larger porcelain bowls to put succulents in. I did manage to drill holes in 3 bowls (which took a very long time on full power). The bit + the drill became very hot and now the bit is stained blue. I used a 6mm tungsten carbide centering tip that goes through cement and tiles (indicated on packet). The man in Bunnings Tools recommended it.  I tried with other bits - larger ones. Then I tried with other bowls but it didn't make holes. I thought I had burnt the bit out - is that possible?So, I bought the same bit again using less power but there is only a tiny round break not a hole in the bowls.  I compared the old to the new bit and they look identical. PS: didn't use the Hammer function. Is it normal to take so long to make small holes - talking 10 minutes +  for each hole on full (very noisy!). Got any advice? Thanks, Deborah

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Using a drill

Hi @deedums. I'd be happy to give some advice.

In order for me to diagnose the issue, it would be helpful to see the drill bit you are using. Could you please share a photo of it or a link to the product on our website?

Drilling into a tile should be done at a low speed and with slight pressure on the drill. The blue indicates that the treatment on the bit has been heat affected, normally by running it at a speed that is too high. It is advised to use water as a cooling mechanism during drilling of hard surfaces. You could drip water over the bit or cover the bottom of the bowl. But please be advised only to cool the bit. Excess water around powered equipment is dangerous and all manufacturers safety instructions must be followed.

I would advise using a drill bit similar to this Sutton 8mm Glass And Tile Drill Bit at slow speed with non-impact and suitable coolant. The Tungsten drill bit is suitable for tiles but might have difficulty with a glazed porcelain. Drilling into porcelain does take some time and the process is not sped up by increased drill speed. 

If you would like any further information about this process or our products, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects