Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Vegetable patch

didi
Just Starting Out

Vegetable patch

Hi I am a newbie and starting out to grow a veg patch. Don’t have a male around to help

so wanting an easy way and coverage to stop cats etc ty 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Vegetable patch

Hi @didi,

Welcome to Workshop. We're pleased to have you join us and will be more than happy to help.

Do you have a section of your garden that you are planning to use for growing vegetables or do you need to establish something from scratch?

It's not difficult to build a simple raised garden bed, as this helpful step-by-step guide from community member @Adam_W demonstrates. I trust you will find it useful.

Another option is to buy a raised planter like the VegTrug Growing Kit which has a cover and would allow you to start growing very quickly and easily.

I will now hand over to the community for their suggestions, but would encourage you to provide a little more detail about what you would like to do and perhaps even some photos of your garden if possible so members can see what you are working with and provide more specific advice. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
didi
Just Starting Out

Ty so much Bunnings have raised tubs but they seem so expensive 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No problem. Let me tag @MitchellMc for you as I'm sure he will be able to share some helpful advice and make some other suggestions for you.

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop Community @didi. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to make some suggestions for you.

There are plenty of budget-friendly options when it comes to raised garden beds, like the 200 x 100 x 30cm Merino Raised Garden Bed or Bedford 120 x 120 x 30cm Treated Pine Raised Garden Bed. Both are under $50 and would be a great starting point for you. You could then add hardwood garden stakes in each corner and drape Whites Anti Bird Netting over the bed to prevent cats entering, or consider a Whites Pest Control Outdoor Grow Tunnel.

I would also encourage you to view a recent article by @mich1972 on how to create Organic no-dig edible garden bed as it shows how to turn a vacant patch of soil into a functional veggie patch. You might also be interested in How to make compost for your garden by @Noelle

You may like to read some of @mich1972's other helpful and creative posts which include How to turn an old bathtub into an edible garden and How to grow herbs in an old wheelbarrow. They are perfect projects for those trying to establish veggie patches on a budget and are a great example of using everyday objects to plant in.

We look forward to seeing how your vegetable patch progresses. If you would like further information on any of these products or have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Mitchell

Good luck. Once you start an Edible Garden it becomes very addictive and extremely enjoyable to be able to grow your own !!!!!! 😊

Exactly, I have been doing for a year now and completely obsessed.  I am happy to share any tips on growing vege and raising chooks.  So much to learn but so much fun on the way

Looking forward to reading your tips on vegetable growing @Teamcruise. There's been lots of recent conversation on this topic recently - What to do in the garden in March. You might like to join in and share some photos of your garden and harvests. 

There's also a very popular and long-running discussion on chooks called Anyone got backyard chickens? It would be great if you could share some of your experiences. 

Welcome to Workshop. We're rapt to have you join us and trust that you'll get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration for projects in return for your contributions to the site. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share or need a hand with anything. And please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from Workshop - we're here to help.

Jason

TheSaltyreefer
Becoming a Leader

So many easy options to go with, cats will not both your vegie patch to much, but a cheap option is a few star pickets and chicken mesh, or dig and plant straight into the ground, raised beds as said can be bought or made very cheaply :smile: I have attached a small video I just recorded that can give you a few ideas :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects