Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Vertical garden help

tony1982
Building a Reputation

Vertical garden help

Hi team

Looking to build a vertical garden to grow some herbs and possibly small fruit/veg eg tomatoes. Not looking for a huge amount of produce and it will be as much to have it looking good as well as functional.

What kind of timber can I use that will stand up to the elements? Obviously treated pine is out if we want to eat the produce. What about hardwood deck boards? Although that would get quite expensive.

Thinking something along the lines of the image below:

Vertical garden.PNG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Vertical garden help

Hi @tony1982,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist. You might not need to rule out treated pine straight away as you could be thinking of the old-style CCA (Copper Chrome Arsenate). The newer version ACQ (Alkaline Copper Quaternary) replaces those nasties with a copper solution which prevents decay and insects.

I'll leave it up to you to form your own decision, but there are no studies that I'm aware of that suggest ACQ is not suitable for vegetable gardens and this type of build. You will find root vegetables (carrots, turnips, onions, radishes etc) tend to absorb and store everything they can from the soil around them. If you were to grow roots vegetables or even just for peace of mind I would suggest lining the planters with plastic to prevent the soil coming in direct contact with the timber.

Here's our range of ACQ treated pine decking.

Let me also mention the fabulous @Adam_W to see if he might like to share his thoughts on suitable timbers.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @tony1982,
Sounds like a great project!
Both yourself & @MitchellMc are spot-on with wanting to avoid CCA treated pine where it will be in such close contact with both soil and hands.
As pointed out by Mitch ACQ is a good option. And yes, you are right, hardwood can be a suitable substitute but the price can be prohibitive.
One option in that respect would be to go on the scrounge at your local recycling or reclamation centre & see if you can find some salvaged hardwood boards, even the slats of hardwood pallets can do the job, just sand them down.
Another thought is that you could make it from H3 treated pine and rather than making it as planter boxes build it to size to hold some self-watering planter troughs that can just drop in.
Much easier to re-pot at the end of each season too as you can just lift them out and you can also paint or seal the treated pine to make it safer.

tony1982
Building a Reputation

Hi guys thanks for the feedback. Going to our local reclamation yard this arvo to see what I can fine. We may end up with a bit more rustic charm than originally anticipated :wink: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tony1982,

There's nothing wrong with some good old rustic charm as it will certainly add character and be a talking piece in your backyard.

Please keep us updated on your progress and let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects