Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Weed killer around a backyard

mukeshkaura
Growing in Experience

Weed killer around a backyard

Hello think tank, Hope you all are doing well! We have this small patch of tan bark which has some growth of weed in it. I spent some time and pulled out most of it. I was wondering if we can use any weed killer in this small patch. I am vary of the fact of the grass around it. Will the weed killer affect the surrounding areas? Also, if there is any recommended weed killer type/brand that can be used here.

I cant thank enough of the people who take out time to respond. And, further sharing your knowledge with everyone. A huge shout out! 

Target areaTarget areaArea around the grassArea around the grass

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Weed killer around a backyard

Hi @mukeshkaura,

You'll be fine to spray the weeds in this area without affecting the surrounding grass. However, if the "weeds" are the surrounding grass creeping into this area, that's a different story. If there are weeds close to the edging, get a piece of cardboard and use it as a little shield, so you don't over-spray onto the grass. If the grass is getting under that edge, you might like to rake back the bark chip, lay some weed matting and then cover it back up with the mulch. Or you can increase the depth of the edging.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mukeshkaura 

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from my colleague @MitchellMc. I positively agree with his recommendation and would suggest raking all of the bark out of the way and laying weed matting on the whole area. Is this area just a display area? Is it used by children as a spot to play in? If no plants are being planted here, then cover the area to prevent weeds from growing. I recommend adding a few bags of Richgro 70L Pine Bark Mulch to give it a new extra layer.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Magnificent Mitch! This is really good advice, love how you have pointed out the cardboard to prevent the spray on areas nearby. I will be off to my nearest Bunnings store in a jiffy! 

Thank you!!!

mukeshkaura
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much Eric - great to e-meet you! This is certainly a display area which we are thinking to convert to a zen garden or space for meditation. The kids do run around and over it. We were thinking of adding a layer of white stones, but wanted to straighten out the mulch layer first. I will measure the height if we can add or refresh mulch.

I am so glad to see how helpful everyone is on this community. Thanks again Eric - take care! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects