Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are these varieties of grass?

SpiderPig
Growing in Experience

What are these varieties of grass?

Grass number 1 and 2 are from the backyard.

Grass number 3 are from the front yard.

They all appeared to be different varieties. 

It would be very much appreciated if someone can help us identify these grass.

TIA!

20221006_141649.jpg

20221006_141809.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What are these varieties of grass?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SpiderPig. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about grass varieties.

The coarser bladed grass (2) is likely to be Buffalo, which typically can be identified by its thick runners that aggressively try and jump over concrete kerbs and spread into gardens. The very fine grass (1) is most probably a variety of thin-bladed infill-type grasses commonly found in lawn repair seed mixes. They are designed to quickly infill an area whilst your actually grass is taking back over and will include up to five different varieties of grass.

What was your interest in the types? Are you looking to create a lawn with only one variety? The Buffalo would be the hardier of the varieties and what you'd commonly see in yards that receive regular usage.

Let me mention @Adam_W to see if he could identify any specific types of grasses in your image.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hey @SpiderPig and welcome.
#1 is anybodies guess. Could be kikuyu or may be a mix from packet lawn seed (they are often blends) that's been used for patching or repair.
#2 I'd put money on buffalo, probably a newer soft-leaf variety.
#3 most likely a couch but could be a zoysia.

SpiderPig
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much for your prompt and professional response @MitchellMc. Can't believe you can actually tell #1 grass are from the repair grass I recently purchased to fix some bold patches.

Now I ended up having 3 different grass variety in my yard.

Yes. I only want one variety for my lawn, but I believe it's a bit screwed up now. 

Will these three varieties outgrow each other? Which one will be the ultimate winner out of the three? Or any advice on how to resolve this mess I have now?

Below is a photo of my lawn.

Thanks again for your amazing and helpful reply.

20221007_202922.jpg

SpiderPig
Growing in Experience

Thank you for your information @Adam_W ! You guys are seriously helpful experts!! I have been asking around looking for answers for a long time. Now finally I found the right people!! 

At this stage, the best you will be able to do without a complete overhaul is to even out the patchiness, @SpiderPig. I'd suggest you start by picking up some Yates 4L BuffaloPro Hose On Lawn Weed Killer and applying it to the lawn. There's quite a bit of clover through the lawn, which this product will kill and several other weeds at the same time. If there are any really compacted areas of soil, you might like to aerate them first and apply some topdress

Next, I'd recommend you re-seed the entire area with the grass of your choice. Since you already have quite a bit of thin-bladed grass from your repairs, I suggest you go with something similar to Munns Professional 2.5kg Kikuyu Lawn Seed Blend. This covers 250 square meters, so make sure you purchase an adequate amount and evenly distribute it with a fertiliser spreader.

Once you have the same grass spread and germinated across the area, the patchiness will be gone, and you'll have a nice-looking lawn. It will still have mixed grass in it, but they'll be much better blended. To have just a single type of grass in the lawn, you'd really need to kill it all off and start again.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

SpiderPig
Growing in Experience

Are these winter grass weeds? @MitchellMc If not, what are they? I used Amgrow Bin-di and Yates Buffalo Pro a month ago but they dont seemed to work on them. Also the clover just kept on returning

Thanks again for your kind advice.

20221008_135315.jpg

Yes, it is likely Winter grass @SpiderPig and rather resistant to selective weedkillers. You should use Amgrow 100ml Winter Grass Killer on it. Not much else will kill it apart from a non-selective weed killer.

You'll likely need to do a few applications of the Buffalo Pro to remove all weeds. Different types will keep popping up, but eventually, you'll get on top of them. Once the grass is re-seeded, it will do a better job of out-competing the weeds, and the clover won't have enough light to germinate and flourish. I'd still advise doing a yearly Weed'n'Feed, though.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects