Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best alternative to concrete around the house?

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

What is the best alternative to concrete around the house?

I have moved into my new house for fifteen months, haven't done my narrow side yard. one side yard flooded a few times already because of heavy rains. some of my friends suggested i should concrete around the house. but it's very expensive for this small job that I can't afford at moment. some friends said just use the stones. For myself i prefer to choose stone and paver, it looks better than concrete and much cheaper.  I have no idea how to start, what to do, how to stop flooding which is urgent issue at moment. My budget is around $2500.

Can anyone give me some idea?

IMG_20211014_053428[1].jpg

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

Re: What is the best alternative to concrete around the house?

So the progress should be the following, is it correct?

1. Lower the height of the drain outlet

2. Level the side yard? (Do I have to, how? what tools do I need?)

3. Lay the roadbase / sand  (which one is better? is it coarse sand if i use the sand?) 

4. Drain Mat Fabric? (do I need it?)

5. Paving  pebbles and paver

Thank you very your patience. 

I hope I can finish this project before Christmas :smile:

Nancy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Nancy12,

1. Lower the height of the drain outlet and cover it with drain matting. You need the matting, as otherwise, the drain will fill with roadbase.

2. Level the yard with the roadbase. You don't need to level the yard before the roadbase. Roadbase will compact better than sand and would be my preference. Coarse sand would be an alternative.

3. Compact the roadbase.

4. Lay the paving and then surround it with pebbles.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nancy12
Growing in Experience

When I started more question turned up.

* How low should the drain outlet be? -- under the soil? or same level of the soil / roadbase? 

* Shall I slope the roadbase to drain outlet, or just compact the roadbase flat? 

* How thick the roadbase should be layed?

* Shall I start the roadbase until the soil dried completely?

Thank you very much

Nancy 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Nancy12,

The grate height should be at the same level as the current soil. That will allow the standing water on top of the soil to drain.

The drain outlet will be below the roadbase. The roadbase should be compacted flat. 50mm of roadbase should give you an adequate amount to level it. The amount of roadbase required really depends on how unlevel the current soil is.

With the method you've decided to go with, the soil will remain wet and will continue to do so after each rainfall. By adding roadbase, you are simply covering it up. I can't see any reason to wait until it is dry before laying the roadbase.

Mitchell

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

one more question. do I need weed mat on the top of roadbase?

Thank you 

Nancy

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nancy12 

I would definitely use a weed mat to keep the pebbles from sinking and prevent weeds from growing in between your pebbles.

Eric

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

I still haven't started the project. I only did lower the height of drain outlet. There two things I'm not sure.

I went to Bunnings, the smallest drain matting is 6m x 600mm. I'm not sure how to use it. Is it the correct product? how long will it last? what do i do if it need to be changed?  Because the drain outlet will be below the roadbase, when i compact the roadbase, will it affect the drain outlet?

NancyIMG_20211021_150731[1].jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @Nancy12

It's good to see that you're checking out the materials for your project. Yes, that is the correct cover for the drain coil. Once installed the only reason you will need to dig it up is that there is something blocking the drain coil. Run the compactor close to the coil drain but not over it. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

i went to neighbor's house today and mentioned about my project. they said if your neighbor's yard is concrete, yours is pebble and paver, the water will run into your yard in wet weather. i'm not sure if it's true. I'd better check with you here more i can trust. 

Thank you very much

Nancy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Nancy12,

That is correct. If it is a concrete slab on the other side of the boundary fence, then the water will probably run into your yard. Is there concrete on the other side of the fence? 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects