Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best alternative to concrete around the house?

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

What is the best alternative to concrete around the house?

I have moved into my new house for fifteen months, haven't done my narrow side yard. one side yard flooded a few times already because of heavy rains. some of my friends suggested i should concrete around the house. but it's very expensive for this small job that I can't afford at moment. some friends said just use the stones. For myself i prefer to choose stone and paver, it looks better than concrete and much cheaper.  I have no idea how to start, what to do, how to stop flooding which is urgent issue at moment. My budget is around $2500.

Can anyone give me some idea?

IMG_20211014_053428[1].jpg

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

Re: What is the best alternative to concrete around the house?

it means i have no choice, i have to use concrete for my side yard? : (.. because one side of my neighbor concreted his yard, the other side is going to  use concrete as well.

Nancy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Nancy12,

You have plenty of choices, including using pebbles and pavers. You'll just need to solve the drainage issue as per my first post. "It looks like that area could do with some drainage to transfer the sitting water away.".

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nancy12
Growing in Experience

@MitchellMc 

if i elevate that sitting water area that is lower than the front side yard using the roadbase, will it help to prevent flooding? or i still need to do some drainage?

thank you very much

Nancy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

By adding roadbase, it will help hide the flooding issue @Nancy12. Once you've added the pebbles, you'll be unlikely to notice the water pooled beneath them. However, if you have a substantial downpour, you might still experience some flooding, as there is nowhere for the water to go.

Mitchell

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

IMG_20211013_060605[1].jpg

What should i do with the other side yard? a friend laid the roadbase for me half year ago. i noticed the drain outlet is above the roadbase. Shall i redo the roadbase? shall i wait until the fence intalled? or better to start project before the fence installed?

Thank you very much

Nancy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That side looks almost identical to the other. Much of what we've discussed should apply there too. If there are no drainage issues here and the area is level, you'll be free to add your pebbles and pavers if you wish. It's likely a good idea to wait until the fence goes in, so the pebbles are retained by it.

Mitchell

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

so i don't need to do anything with the drain outlet that is above the roadbase?

Nancy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Nancy12,

They've left it that high, so once you add your concrete slab or pebbles, it's not below them. Once you add the pebbles, you can lower the grate so the top is flush with the level of the surrounding pebbles.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects