Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the problem with my Hardenbergia leaves?

Angelsword
Finding My Feet

What is the problem with my Hardenbergia leaves?

20220109_164714.jpg

 Hi, beginning gardener here, have had this for 6 months or so but the problem is only within the last month.

Marina1
Getting Established

Re: What is the problem with my Hardenbergia leaves?

Ahh, got it - thank you Eric!

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Marina1 

Hardenbergia or sarsaparilla creeper is quite hardy but possibly not when being trained to grow in front of a colorbond fence which can get quite hot especially over summer! It does better when allowed to climb naturally or trail over the ground in a predominantly native garden.

Eric's recommendations are probably better options for you.

Marina1
Getting Established

Thank you @Noelle. I have removed it now, and will be proceeding to plant the star jasmine thanks to all your help. When I removed the Hardenbergia I noticed that it was riddled with blue powdery mildew. As I removed it, I couldn't help the powdery mildew from flying all over the place. Would this have contaminated my soil and affect the planting of a star jasmine plant?

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Marina1 

It's almost impossible to prevent mildew spores from becoming airborne when removing an infected plant.

I'd suggest digging over the soil where the hardenbergia was, to a depth of about 30cm, and leaving it fallow for a few weeks before contemplating planting the star jasmine into the same patch. After turning the soil over, treating it with an appropriate fungicide like eco-fungicide, made up as instructed on the label and watered on to the garden bed, may assist in eradicating any lingering spores.

Marina1
Getting Established

thanks Noelle

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects