Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What mulch for garden weed control?

lindasjohn
Growing in Experience

What mulch for garden weed control?

Hi. Curious to find out what mulch you find best for weed control. I had newspaper and sugar cane mulch on top before. Trying to identify if I can do better.

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What mulch for garden weed control?

Hi @lindasjohn . The main way that mulch suppresses weeds is by preventing sunlight from penetrating the top part of the soil. Sunlight triggers weed seeds to germinate, but if you keep them in the dark they don't get a chance to grow. 

So almost anything can work as a mulch, from pebbles to shredded paper, as long as it's keeping sunlight out of the soil.

There can be benefits to using different mulches for different parts of your garden. To make your ornamental garden beds look their best you might want dark or red woodchips so that your flowers or greenery really pop. But on new plantings and vegetable gardens you might want to use lucerne mulch, which breaks down relatively quickly, providing extra nutrients to the soil.

If you live in an area where termites are a problem, you might want to use cypress mulch, which is said to discourage termites. You might also want to use pebbles or scoria as mulch up against your house, so there is no wood on the ground to attract termites.

In the past I've also used newspapers and cardboard under other mulches, but I've personally gone off that now because I've come to think of it as a barrier to water entering the soil, and to the soil breathing and functioning normally. But maybe that's just me.

In the end you might find it's not a case of one size fits all. It might be about looking at the different needs of the different parts of your garden and maybe using a couple of different mulches. Spread it thick to keep the light out of the soil, but don't pile it around the trunks of trees and stems of plants because it can retain moisture and cause them to rot.

I hope that helps. I'm sure other members will be able to add their own knowledge and experience too. Do let us know if you have more questions. 

Cheers,
Brad

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: mulch for garden weed control

Hi @lindasjohn,

I trust @BradN's thorough and expert explanation has provided you with precisely what you need to control weeds with mulch around your garden. I'd agree entirely with what he's suggested. Here's a helpful guide on mulch and how to use it in your backyard, which you should also find useful.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: mulch for garden weed control

I will check it out. Thank you mitch

lindasjohn
Growing in Experience

Hi Brad,

Thank you for your reply. I am so grateful to get this detailed and through reply.

John

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @lindasjohn . Happy to help! Other members might have other tips and advice too. Feel free to ask more questions and to show off photos of your freshly mulched garden too.

One thing to bear in mind is that pebbles and stones can get very hot in the sun and bake the roots of shallow-rooted plants. Another is that if you use lawn clippings as mulch you'll probably be dumping loads of grass and weed seeds and cuttings into your garden beds. I'm never doing that again!

Cheers,

Brad 

lindasjohn
Growing in Experience

Hi Brad

Will keep those in mind. Thank you. 

John

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects