Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What plant this is and is it damaged?

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

What plant this is and is it damaged?

Hello, wondering if someone can help. I have this plant and it’s been absolutely fine on it’s own without any care. I just moved in the last 6 months so it may be a seasonal issue but the issue is, it used to bloom and now the ends are brown? I don’t know the name of the plant either sorry.

thank you for any help. 
SS9BC9170D-C574-42A1-8E8F-555816A5A0CB.jpeg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: how to know what plant this is and is it damaged?

Wonderful to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community @Newgreenthumb

Let me tag horticulturists and Workshop members @Adam_W and @Noelle, as well as the ever-helpful @MitchellMc who should be able to offer advice when he's back on the site on Friday.

Do you have any upcoming projects for your garden? We'd love to hear about your plans. Our creative members post amazing projects here all the time, so I'm sure you'll find plenty of inspiration.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @Newgreenthumb & welcome!
Looks to me like a Dietes. Most likely D. iridioides
Often mistaken for a native they are often called 'one day iris' as each flower only lasts one day before a new one appears on the same stem. I can in-fact see that there look to be a couple of flowers coming on on that plant.
They are very hardy & long flowering, starting in early spring & going through until autumn, so not surprising to see it reducing it's flowering now.
I would be pruning off any of those stems that have produced a seed pod as a plant that seeds will always reduce its flowering. I'd also give it a feed with a suitable Osmocote  at the recommended rates. A splash of Seasol wouldn't hurt either. Just use the straight seaweed tonic version, not the fertiliser boosted ones as you will overdo the feeding.
Come spring it should burst back into bloom and it may actually throw out the odd flower or two over winter.

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Welcome, @Newgreenthumb 

Agree with @Adam_W completely. Nothing that the cutting off of dead flowers and developing seed heads and a little TLC won't fix!

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

Hi Adam_W,

rhank you for the reply. That makes sense.

May I ask, what does a seed pod look like? Apologies if that’s a stupid question. 
some of the leave is also brown, about 20cm on some. Should it be chopped down to the green part or just the head? 

thank you again. 

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What plant this is and is it damaged?

Hi @Newgrrenthumb

I agree with  @Adam_W re plant name, Dietes, I have the same plant, see photos. They are a very hardy plant. 

The second photo shows the seed pod. My plant has just finished flowering.

IMG_9330.JPGIMG_9331.JPGIMG_9332.JPG

@JoeAzza hi-

Thanks so much for that. I moved in with them already here and I love the low maintenance of them.

thanks for sending in the photos… May I ask with the seed pods, I also have those brown and green heads, which one is the seed pod? 

Hi @Newgreenthumb , both are seed pods. The green ones are still developing (they are not yet 'ripe') the brown ones have just about finished & are dropping seeds. Remove those stems right at the base.
The leaves looking brown & daggy is typical for this time of year. They will put out new leaves come spring so wait a while until there's more dead leaves and trim them all off at once otherwise you'll find yourself cutting a few leaves off every day.

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

@Adam_W  Ok great!

Thank you so much for your time. 

so pretty much all the brown seed pods, just remove them from the base not just where the browning starts from? Approx 20cm down. I can’t get right to the bottom. 

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

@Adam_W hi, 

sorry to ask again, I just want to be clear.

So pretty much all the brown seed pods, just remove them from the base not just where the browning starts from? Approx 20cm down. I can’t get right to the bottom. 

thanks for your time. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects