Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What potting mix to use for a money plant?

monirul
Just Starting Out

What potting mix to use for a money plant?

Hi 

I am not sure what what type of potting mix I am going to use for my money plant, they are in the water now, roots are coming out, I want to planted in the pots,

thanks 

9CFE4680-9361-4935-A722-CBCB04CCF933.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What potting mix to use for a money plant?

Hello @monirul

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about what potting mix to use for a money plant.

To transfer your money plant from water to soil, you will need a Vaseria 23cm Terracotta Italian Pot, a bag of Scotts Osmocote 50L Premium Potting Mix, and Pinegro 30L Coco Peat Ready To Use. Here are the steps you need to take to transfer your money plant to soil. 

• Fill the pot with Potting Mix approximately 3/4 full. 
  • Add Coco Peat until the pot is nearly full.
  • Tip out the Potting Mix and Coco Peat that was in the pot onto a plastic sheet and mix them well.
  • Place the mix back into the pot and dig a hole in the middle the size of a small cup.
  • Get your money plant and untangle the roots, trim roots that are very long, do not cut the short ones.
  • Gently place your money plant in the hole you have made and fill it with the mix.
  • Water the plant as soon as you are finished.

Your watering schedule will be to water it every other day and to check that you have good drainage. Make sure the pot is not waterlogged. Observe your plant for the next few weeks. Please keep us updated, any photos you can provide about your planting project would be much appreciated.

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle for their recommendations.

If you need more advice and information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @monirul and @EricL 

It would be preferable, in my opinion, to use a specially formulated indoor plant potting mix which already has a high coir fibre content, such as Osmocote Indoor Plants Premium Potting MIx.

This mix has been designed to suit most indoor plants and is less prone to fungus gnats which can be problematic indoors in other potting mixes that are based on composted ingredients.

This indoor mix may hold more moisture than a standard potting mix so check how moist the top 5cm or so is being watering - be guided by how the mix feels rather than having a set watering program (eg watering every second day routinely).

PS: Your photo looks more like a pothos or devil's ivy than a money plant which has rounder, coin-like, mid green leaves.

monirul
Just Starting Out

Thanks Noelle for ur concern 

I am bit confused now, can u please tell me proper step to transfer my money plant to soil

u are right

It is also called devil's vine or devil's ivy  It is sometimes mistakenly labeled as a Philodendron in plant stores. It is commonly known as a money plant in many parts of the Indian subcontinent.

Thanks for your cooperation 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @monirul,

@EricL's steps are how should you transfer your money plant to soil. Our expert horticulturist @Noelle has simply advised you to use Osmocote Indoor Plants Premium Potting Mix instead of the Scotts Osmocote 50L Premium Potting Mix. I'd agree with her suggestion as fungus gnats are horrible and can be a real pain to get rid of. The indoor plant mix she suggested is designed to inhibit their eggs laying ability.

It should now read:

• Fill the pot with indoor plant potting mix approximately 3/4 full. 

• Dig a hole in the middle the size of a small cup.

• Get your money plant and untangle the roots. Trim roots that are very long but do not cut the short ones.

• Gently place your money plant in the hole you have made and fill around the plant with the mix.

• Water the plant as soon as you are finished.

I hope that clarifies. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi MitchellMc

thanks for your advice 

One more suggestion, do I need to still add Coco Peat until the pot is nearly full or one fourth proportion of the pots,

thanks for your cooperation and help

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @monirul,

There is no need to add additional coco peat to the mix as there is already peat included in the Osmocote Indoor Plants Premium Potting Mix.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects